fish food?

Reaction score
What have you found to be the best brand of fish food? Also what is it with the smell of fish food. Those flakes stink, or is it just me?

Reaction score
I don't use flakes, I always use pellets and they smell a little if you hold them up to your nose. LOL I use any brand that is on sale.

Reaction score
Hikari is really the best on the market as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want to use Hikari Microbe-lift has a good variety of foods, too. A good food does not pollute the water and you need to feed less of it. The foods do have a slight smell which fades with age. Don't over buy food as it does lose nutritional value over time. Never freeze pellets or flakes. Fish also enjoy some fresh foods such as peas and watermelon.

Reaction score
My little one threw a bunch of Cheerios in the pond, the fish loved them! I don't know if it is good so i haven't mead a habit of it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My koi will eat steamed rice, and I'm told as a treat to give small wedges of an orange or minced garlic.

Reaction score
My koi absolutely love oranges. I learned this from PetSmart - they feed their goldfish and koi slices of orange every day. They told me it gives them vitamins and nutrients they need - as well as help with color. Don't know if this is tru, but they do love it.

Got a question... my koi love water lettuce. It's extremely expensive to purchase just for them to eat. I had about 40 plants last year and they were gone in a matter of a couple of weeks. Can I give them iceburg, spinach, mixed greens, etc. from the garden?

Reaction score
I make an economy trail mix: half cheap Walmart koi pellets, a quarter Walmart dry kitten food (fish flavor), and a quarter Honey Nut Cheerios. My koi, no question, devour the kitten food first. Next, they eat the Cheerios and, lastly, finish off the koi pellets at their leisure.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DrDave said:
My koi will eat steamed rice, and I'm told as a treat to give small wedges of an orange or minced garlic.

i give them orange slices, but i was told not too often or your fish can develope a form of diabetes, grapefruit is better for them.... but shelled green peas , they fight over!!!. tetra pond or wardleys as their staple. i like to hand feed cheerios(honey nut)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The foods I have on hand for this year are Winter & Spring OSI 168, EA Health and Hikari wheat germ. Summer I have on hand Hi Silk 21, Blackwater creek Gold and EA Show.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I posted on another area before I found this one, so I guess I will ask the same thing here.

I have food left over from last winter. It has frozen because it was left outside over the winter. Do you think I should toss it and just buy new stuff?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was it exposed to the elements or was it dry while frozen?
If it were me I would pitch it.
If it did not get wet you can thaw it in a brown paper bag to room temps. this keeps the moisture down so mold does not form.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it didn't get wet, it still absorbed some moisture. I would place it in your oven at about 200 for an hour or so to dehydrate it.

Then try feeding a few to your fish.

If it is only a few bucks worth of food, then don't bother. Buy fresh.

I buy in bulk and repackage in Gaterade bottles. That way it remains fresh and bug free.

Reaction score
Anybody know about feeding them lettuce or other greens since they love to eat plants? I can't keep plants in my pond - they devour them as fast as I get them in the pond.

Ask a Question