Fish other than koi...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
and goldies that are favorable to ponds?
Not really feeling the goldies, does anyone have any "smaller fish" suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
I've enjoyed keeping "rosy reds" which are just a light yellowish colored mutation of the fathead minnow in my ponds. They are commonly sold (very cheap) as feeder fish in pet stores such as Petsmart. They are very hardy and prolific and have done well living through harsh winters under the ice. Because of their light color they are highly visible. The largest ones usually grow to around 2-1/2". I've kept them with both goldies and koi, no problem. Sometimes in the spring I've had swarms of fry schooling together and highly visible, but as they grow the numbers dwindle. I suppose it has to do with how much food they can find, which keeps them from over running the place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
I've enjoyed keeping "rosy reds" which are just a light yellowish colored mutation of the fathead minnow in my ponds. They are commonly sold (very cheap) as feeder fish in pet stores such as Petsmart. They are very hardy and prolific and have done well living through harsh winters under the ice. Because of their light color they are highly visible. The largest ones usually grow to around 2-1/2". I've kept them with both goldies and koi, no problem. Sometimes in the spring I've had swarms of fry schooling together and highly visible, but as they grow the numbers dwindle. I suppose it has to do with how much food they can find, which keeps them from over running the place.
Now that sounds like a plan!
Especially the "swarms of fry" scenario as my cichs would love to start their spring (or any day for that matter) with a few mouthful of fry. And I'd feel a lot better about feeding them fry from my "pond" as opposed to straight from that tank at Petsmart or Petco.
Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
and goldies that are favorable to ponds?
Not really feeling the goldies, does anyone have any "smaller fish" suggestions?

Shubunkins aren't small fish, but they're smaller than koi. They can grow up to a max of about a foot, I think, maybe bigger. Mine have all seemed to top out at about 9-10." They have similar colors to some koi, but don't need as big of a pond as koi do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
I also have guppies, platies and mollies in my ponds. All live breeders. And they have so many babies. I give them away by the buckets.
Thanks, P!
Shubunkins aren't small fish, but they're smaller than koi. They can grow up to a max of about a foot, I think, maybe bigger. Mine have all seemed to top out at about 9-10." They have similar colors to some koi, but don't need as big of a pond as koi do.
Roger that.
Im looking to avoid all carp descendants in general. Although a "small" koi sounds interesting.
Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shubunkin are often called poor man's koi.
I love my shubbies, great colors, easy to care for.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Shubunkin are often called poor man's koi.
I thought that sarassa comets were called poor-man's koi haha. Maybe it just refers to all multi-colored goldfish :D

I would go with Rosy reds or mosquitofish or something similar. Or you could try fancy goldfish. They don't get quite as big and are funny the way they "waddle" around the pond.

Ask a Question