fish pox? tumor? something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Over the weekend, I cleaned out my pond. It was/is nasty. Well, as I was doing this, I netted the fish, looked them over to make sure each was ok. (now that I have done this, I truly understand the importance of it). I found this white spot on the dorsal fin of one of my comets. I've researched and looked at so many pictures that I'm just not sure what it could be. At first thought it was something ON the fin, so I tried to gently wipe it off with a q-tip. However, it's contained within the skin.

Another one of my comets has these black spots on them which I'm convinced that it's black smudge. And I know it's from the poor quality of the water they were in. But when I showed the owner at the fish store he suggested Melafix and to treat the whole pond. (his young employee told me it was just a color change--HIS exact words were "that's no color change".

Because I will be moving in the next few weeks, I have moved all the fish into a 110 gal. stock tank. I have also made a bucket filter for it (the pond didn't have a filter--just plants and water changes last summer). I did put some (not very much because of the quality) of the pond water into the tank, along with some of the rocks and green scrubbies that I had in the pond to help with the cycling of this new tank.

Current readings are: pH-8.2; Kh 7; Ammonia 0.5; Nitrites 0; Nitrates 40. Initially, the nitrates were over 80, most likely from some of the crud that got in when transferring them, With daily partial water changes I've been slowly getting it down. I did add bacteria. I'm currently treating the tank with Melafix and Pimafix, and added a cup of aquarium salt 2 days ago. All of this probably will not help either one of these problems, but figured I'd try these while I'm getting the water quality in better shape. I have also added a lot more aeration. (the actual pond DID have aeration thru the winter, but I bought another aerator and have them both going in the tank).

Not sure if you needed all of that information or not. All I'm really asking is some opinions on what is wrong with my fish. I realize that if the one has black smudge it may or may not improve with better water quality. The white, raised spot on the other one has me confused. All of the fish are acting fine and don't seem to be exhibiting any signs of illness.

Sorry I'm so wordy, but from reading the posts on here, everyone always asks for more information.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20170414_172940-1.jpg
    20170414_172940-1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 20170414_184117.jpg
    20170414_184117.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 20170417_185113.jpg
    20170417_185113.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 20170417_185115.jpg
    20170417_185115.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 20170417_185117.jpg
    20170417_185117.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'd never heard of Black Smudge....always learning new things.

It sounds like carp pox, but I can't tell for sure, from the picture. Sounds like you're on the right track, improving your water quality. Good luck with your move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have found water quality always directly relates to fish health. You ammonia readings are too high and should be at zero. Frequent water changes will help bring down ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Just curious. Are any of the fish in question females? They may have been brused from spawning. I have had numerous fish get brused from rocks during spawning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, I do have females. I've had fry in the past. The one with the black smudge is definitely female, as we watched this particular one get chased a lot last summer. She's very chubby (wide) and the one we call "Big Momma" because she's so much wider than the rest. This is the one with the black smudge on her. :( And yes, I've also read that the blackness can be caused by ammonia poisoning and the blackness is part of the healing process.

I have no idea if the one with the white lump is male or female.

I know everything is too high which is why I'm doing the daily water changes. Been doing 30-40%. Should it be more??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To help ammonia get zeolite and I use a pump with a old fish food container clamped to the side of my stock tank with quilt batting in it .I drilled holes in the container and run the hose from a container in the bottom of the tank with the pump in it and a bag of zeolite in it and in the top one also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What is the total number of fish that you have at present?

I have 15 at the present time, with 4 of them being about 5 inches and the rest 2-3 inches----Comets and Shubies) I know this is a very high fish load for a 110 gal tank, but my plan is to get another tank and split them up. This whole system is temporary until I can get them moved to Ohio next month.

To help ammonia get zeolite and I use a pump with a old fish food container clamped to the side of my stock tank with quilt batting in it .I drilled holes in the container and run the hose from a container in the bottom of the tank with the pump in it and a bag of zeolite in it and in the top one also

I made a similar filter with a bucket. I have a bunch of green scrubbies in it with quilting batting on top of that. I'll get some zeolite and put in there also. Never used it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
these guys are jumpers and skittish so it is hard to take pics .I have lava rock where the pump is also .I keep plastic containers around for the just incase
101_0237.JPG
101_0236.JPG
101_0243.JPG
101_0241.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I also have an aerator stone in there

Looks very similar to my current set up. I used an old cat litter bucket (the big one--I have 7 cats). I have a submersible pump in the tank pumping water into the bottom of the bucket where it goes through the scrubbies and batting and out the top, back into the tank. I have 2 aerators going. So where would you suggest I put the zeolite? In the bucket?? In the tank itself?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In addition, I'm stopping at the petstore tonight to get a bunch of hornwort to help with the nitrates. Pond plants such as water lettuce & hyacinth aren't available in my area yet. As soon as I can get some, they'll be added also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have mini cattails in mine and plants help just make sure the fish do not eat them before they have time to work .I hung my cattails over the side of the tank in 1 of my plant pockets .Grasses like ribbon or strawberries and cream do a great job hung over the side also .I put zeolite in with my lava rock and in the fish food container of quilt batting and zeolite .,zeolite first and then quilt batting went on top of it

Ask a Question