Fish selection for 125g pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello! My girlfriends father gave us the classic pre made shell pond that I believe is 125g and we installed and landscaped. I’m currently cycling and have about 7 plants in the pond (lettuce,hyacinth,iris,lily,tropics fern). Being an aquarist in the past I want to be cautious of what I put in the pond, but was wondering what fish would work in 125 gallons?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to GPF!

Please post pictures — we love pictures here! A couple (2 or 3) of Shubunkin or fantail goldfish would be nice. The Shubies will grow pretty fast (and maybe reproduce). Fan tails tend to stay smaller.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-6-10_9-8-21.gif
@WVMountaineer92

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @WVMountaineer92 I would probably start with 3-4 common/comet goldfish. If you did shubunkins to get a better variety of color and pattern I would probably start with a few and give them some time to get settled in before adding anything else like minnows, etc. Depends on your climate, but I've known people that have had success with the fancy variety of goldfish (fantails, ryukin, etc.) in ponds and I've known people that have had nothing but trouble from it. Single tail goldfish (common, comet, shubunkin, etc.) do VERY well in ponds in a wide variety of climates.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! to our forum.

How cold does it get there? I have fan tails in one of our ponds, 2.5 feet deep, 1000 gallons and they do fine over the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No koi at all lol knew that from the get go..as somebody who has researched and been in the fish keeping hobby for awhile I’m definitely not a believer in over stocking

Ask a Question