Fish short of oxygen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have quite a few goldfish and they have been very healthy and mostly live to a good age. Just recently our pond weed and water lilies not doing so well and have suffered more than usual casualties among the fish. Although we have the right size pump continually on the fish seem to be short of oxygen. The only difference in our pond is that we added Aquaplancton to our pond recently. I am now worried that this has got sludgy and got into their gills when they've gone down to get food off the bottom. Anyone got any advice as I don't want to lose any more fish.
Thanks, Emme

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What size is your pond (liters)? How many fish do you have? Sizes?
First recommendation is to cease using Aquaplancton or any other pond treatment.
What makes you think that there is a shortage of Oxygen in the water? Symptoms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7,570.82 litres (2,000 gallons). They swim at the top of the water with their mouths open and at night all get as close to the outflows as possible, distressing to see.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
One thing I have learnt from my experience as an amateur "koi guy" and from these forums is that additives and artificial "anything" should be used as little as possible and intervention should be rare and only when an emergency. My personal system that I use for my turtles and koi is that moving water is the best way to add oxygen and also supports healthy breakdown of debris and prevents stagnation. Something as simple as raising the output so that it "falls" into the pond like a fountain/waterfall will add oxygen through exposure and cavitation. Note that I am only saying these fixes IF oxygen is the problem so hopefully you can determine if that is what is causing the issues. Good luck.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do you have any way of vacuuming the bottom of your pond? This may improve your situation considerably faster than water changes which is another optional course of action.
Adding any bacterial-based product to a pond will adversely affect the Oxygen level. Sometimes to the point of causing stress in fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would go buy a second pump and have the water splash into the water in the pond. I keep two pumps running all the time. One for the filter which then goes to my waterfall and a second one just for the waterfall. You can't have enough water moving. Other things that can cause problems; too many plants that use O2 at night, and the water too warm with poor retention of O2 because of the temp. Also I have had clumps of anacharis and hornwort in my pond which give off a steady stream of tiny bubbles. Also I use an air pump all year long. Oh, I'm in the camp of no chemicals other than declor. Last time I added anything was about 6 years ago. Just some ideas. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Emme Perhas you could add a multi ganged koi airpump then you can add exta air by use of pond airstones on a multi ganged manifold of airtaps we use an airtec 40e to add air to both our filter bays and bottom drain bubbler:-

http://www.koicarp.net/air_products/airpumps/airtech.html

You can buy cheaper koi pond airpumps along the same lines as this model you can also get Multigang mnifold Airtaps such as the four ganged one in the photo up to 12 ganged manifold of airtaps if necessary .
Maintenance of the ponds bottom along water changes on a regular basis will also help
Question do you add dechrorination liquid in with your water save yourself alot of money and buy one of these :-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=67

It will save you alot of money in the way of buying dechlorination liquid and will filter 100,000 gallons before you need replace the cartridges...... a partial water is about 40% of your water each time

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question