Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my koi appears to be flashing. Any ideas on causes? They are overstocked in this temporary pool. I've been staying on top of water changes and adding prime to curb ammonia. Presently ammonia is a .75. I'm adding more water to their pool to dilute it a bit. I'm thinking about doing a round of Proform-C tomorrow. Salt levels are very low. I'd appreciate advice. I have videos of it. If anyone is willing to look at them I can be texted (pls pm me) removed #for you. and I can send the videos via whatsapp. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 1699672538.jpg
    1699672538.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1699672128.jpg
    1699672128.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 15
  • 1699671940.jpg
    1699671940.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Flashing can have several causes. Most people think of flukes when fish flash, but that is not necessarily the case. They can flash from any change with the water, including pH, new water being added, temperature changes, etc.

Some fish flash when the water gets colder this time of the year. They will adjust with a little time to get used to the change and the flashing will stop.

If you suspect flukes and can catch the fish, do a scraping of skin and gills and check those under a microscope.

In my opinion, the best treatment for flukes is Fluke M.

Most treatments are subject to the water temperature and most have a minimum temperature at which they are effective. Be sure to check that before treating the pond if you feel it is necessary.

One more thing. I would remove the phone number from your post. A public forum is not the place for your private information.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Flashing can have several causes. Most people think of flukes when fish flash, but that is not necessarily the case. They can flash from any change with the water, including pH, new water being added, temperature changes, etc.

Some fish flash when the water gets colder this time of the year. They will adjust with a little time to get used to the change and the flashing will stop.

If you suspect flukes and can catch the fish, do a scraping of skin and gills and check those under a microscope.

In my opinion, the best treatment for flukes is Fluke M.

Most treatments are subject to the water temperature and most have a minimum temperature at which they are effective. Be sure to check that before treating the pond if you feel it is necessary.

One more thing. I would remove the phone number from your post. A public forum is not the place for your private information.
Thank you. I can't see how to edit it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What's does flashing mean?
Flashing is when a fish very quickly rubs itself on something in the pond or tank when it is being irritated by something. The fish usually turns on its side to try and scratch itself and you will see a flash of color from the scales.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In your temp situation i'd bet on water quality, i'd be willing to bet your ph is low as well is your kh. i believe most of the time when fish flash iot is from water quality not parasites

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ammonia, nitrites, and high nitrates can also cause irritation and cause flashing. How much longer do they have to be in the pool? I would increase the frequency of your partial water changes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They can say these chemicals won't effect our bacteria , i say it won't do it any favors either.

Ask a Question