flex or non flex pvc?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
capewind said:
As I wrote, the contractor COULD be correct, but if a contractor is UNWILLING to answer QUESTIONS, that is a red flag. HOW do you know this contractor is trying to be helpful with a LACK of info??? Then again, there's a saying about assumptions.
The original post was.

So I have a delimma. I've already purchased 100 feet of black flex pvc 1.5' pipe for my pond but the company I'm having come in to do the final install "highly recommends" hard pvc. Didn't explain why but I thought flex was the way to go.
It is not clear that texmaster asked why.

Texmaster it come down to wanting pipes that flow the most water for a given pump.. It is best to have pipes with a smooth interior and no sharp corners.. Rigid PVC is smooth. From the pictures it looks like some of the flex PVC may be close to or even smooth. Flex PVC has the advantage that you can use wide sweeping bends. If your flex is smooth or close I would say good enough.

If you have enough pipe you could use a Y fitting at the pump and run 2 lengths of pipe. That would help even if you had rigid. You can play with this. Get a Y and connect it up and see how much more water you get with 1 vs 2 pipes. Beats having the extra sit in the garage.

Reaction score
HTH said:
It is not clear that texmaster asked why.
Nope, not 100% clear that the WHY was asked. I see an issue when a person has to ask opinions of hobbiests, that a professional should have volunteered. Although to "highly recommend" one product, but be willing to use another, suggests a reason of some sort should be given, or one has to wondering if they are willing to use what a client has on hand, to get the job. Not be mention in my original post (#3) I had written ...

"Ya, NEXT ,.. I mean NEXT CONTRACTOR. Plain and simple, there are products that contractors prefer for certain applications BUT if a client ASKS the WHY they want to do something a certain way, and dont get an answer, I see that as a red flag. The contractor COULD be making the correct choice in his preference, but without an explaination, YOU dont know that they are correct. What happens if you have a problem later?"

We can make hundreds of assumptions as to WHY the contractor wants to use a certain product, but without clarification, or that contractor being here in the forum to answer the question, we have no idea as to THEIR reasoning.

As I had already posted (post #5), I dont touch pond plumbing. I am far from a plumber. MY point of view is to do most of it as schedule 40 as it appears more durable to me, but that is from a non-plumbing point of view LOL.

My biggest point is when contracting ANY service, a client has a right to know what they are payiing for, and what to expect from said contractor.

Reaction score
HTH said:
It to early to burn this contractor based on what we really know. Texmaster needs to talk with the guy.
IF Texmaster did not directly ask, certainly, ask and give the contractor a chance .... if the question was asked, and not answered, I'd move on.

Reaction score
capewind said:
We can make hundreds of assumptions
That's what an internet forum is, hundreds of assumptions and wild crazy facts that make no sense. People don't, or shouldn't, come to a forum for answers. It's like going into a bar and asking people for tax advice. You're going to get a lot of advice, and it's fun. But confusing that advice for actual information is dangerous.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
capewind said:
IF Texmaster did not directly ask, certainly, ask and give the contractor a chance .... if the question was asked, and not answered, I'd move on.

I've asked the guy why in email right after he stated it but haven't heard back yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
HTH said:
Almost exactly, in your original post you mentioned 1.5 in and it should work fine.

Thats because at that site at the bottom you select the size.

Thanks for checking it out.

Reaction score
sissy said:
I just use sump pump hose cheap and easy to get

I just did the same thing. I needed about 28' of hose, and the thought of buying two 25' rolls at $30 apiece was annoying....until I saw the $8 sump pump hose. Works fantastic for a third the price.....and I have plenty of extra for a backwash hose.

Ask a Question