flexible tubing question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hi all. I am adding a waterfall to my new pond that was given to me. It came with the tubing from the pump to the waterfall, but upon testing I found out the tubing was full of pin holes. Do I need to use the heavier flexible tubing for my pond, or will the slightly thinner sump pump tubing work?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use sump pump hose for years now and at 10 dollars a roll it is cheap .I run mine inside my pond so it does not get damaged .I have used the same pieces for years now .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The thing with sump pump tubing is that the inside is not smooth. That means it creates a lot of extra friction and will cause head loss, meaning you need a bigger pump and more electricity to run it. I can't quantify all this, but I'd bet you the extra electricity would wipe out your savings in a year or two.

@Meyer Jordan is spot on. Get the FlexPVC in whatever size you need. If you have a short run (under 25') buy it by the foot. If you have a longer run, buy a 50' roll.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have not lost head height and have actually lowered my energy cost when I went from the 2 3/4 hose to the 2 1/2 hose . I had to turn my ball valve more to cut the flow to the filter and open the ball valve that lets the extra water from that same pump into the pond .the only set back for some is that it has to be run inside the pond ,but for me that is less worry .The hose leaks it goes right back into the pond instead of me having to dig the hose up and find the leak .Since moles chewed my liner before sump pump hose is a win win for me

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
If your in a cold climate go flex PVC, I have it & love it. That said for my winter pump in the past I've used sump pump hose run in the pond over winter & not had it break. Would I trust it outside the pond even in a warmer climate? Probably not but it does come down to cost & budget, if your gonna leave it in the pond like sissy does I see no problem using it. But for outside its awesome & you can connect regular PVC fittings to it just use the special glue made for flex PVC.

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a small preformed pond. If that is so then I would just go with a sump pump or swimming pool vacuum hose. The vacuum hose is stronger and would last longer. The best hose that you can get is the flex type that has been suggested however it could cost more than the pond itself. The only advantage is that it would last many years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True about sump pump hose ,never run it outside the pond .I prefer in the pond hose so has never bothered me .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It sounds like you have a small preformed pond.
I missed that, but if it was "given" to the OP, you are probably right. If that's the case, FlexPVC is probably out since the smallest diameter is 1.5" and it doesn't bend super well. What size is the pond, waterfall, and pump? When we know that we can give a better recommendation.

Ask a Question