Floundering Water Hyacinths

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Two things that I THINK contribute to the difference - the pondless is shallow, so they have a chance to root into the bottom and collect lots of dirt and, because it is shallow, the water is much warmer and stays much warmer, which they seem to prefer. ....

Have you ever measured the temperature difference between the pondless and the pond, Lisa?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - it's generally 5 or 6 degrees warmer but once I got a ten degree spread. Less water volume overall plus shallower pools both contribute to that I would guess. My pondless is warmer than my patio pond as well, even though that's only 35 or so gallons, but it's shaded for all but a few early morning hours.

These are all surface level temperature readings with a floating thermometer. The pondless is basically all surface though, so I guess that might be obvious!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have a heck of a time trying to grow typical pond plants in my outdoor pond because of it's low water temperature.
In my indoor tropical aquarium, they will grow like weeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can see that. Have you tried naturalizing any native species? I've had good luck with plants I find growing in or around our natural ponds in our neighborhood. I have brought home a few water irises and pickerel from the ponds that have done great in my pond and bog. (After QT of course!) I've been tempted to try a couple things that I wasn't familiar with as well, but worried about the potential issues I might cause, so I stick with plants I can identify!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have, but many native species are hard to find (not available in retail stores) and I don't think my pond has enough nutrients to sustain them right now.
That will improve with time, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
image.jpg
I started out with 20 hyacinths in the spring as soon as the weather broke around April. It was still chilly and the stores by me werent even carrying them that early. I took a chance and bought 20 online. I now have about 120 of them (not an exaggeration) BUT for some reason they never flower (Does anyone know why?) I know they are great for the water quality, hides fish from predators and gives the fish something to snack on but 3/4 of my pond is covered. The fish love hanging out under them during the day which stinks a little because its harder for me to go watch and enjoy them. I tried giving some away to my neighbor but he said his pond is cramped with water lillies and other plants already. I may have to scoop out and throw some out. Its a shame because they are big, thick healthy looking hyacinths...

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put them in a concrete mixing tub with miracle grow and a LED light and a petco aerator that I only run at night and end up having a stock tank full .I lost all of mine one year and I was away when the frost hit and killed my water lettuce .It is easy The aerator has 4 ports on it and was less than 30 dollars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know that we have natural ponds here. It's a high desert. Lakes and slow moving rivers, yes. Do they support the same species as a small pond?

General rules of thumb for importing natural species to a backyard pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any water loving plant should have a good chance to grow in your pond. So if you find it in a lake or stream, just pay attention to where it's growing (at the edge, under water, etc) and replicate that in your pond.

These would be my rules. Let's see what others might add:
1. Be VERY sure about the plants you choose to bring home - some can be invasive and you will rue the day you planted them in your pond!
2. Be sure it's legal to dig WHATEVER or WHEREVER you choose to dig.
3. Quarantine any plant you bring home before putting it in your pond to be sure you didn't bring home any undesirables - bugs, eggs, other plants, etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I put them in a concrete mixing tub with miracle grow and a LED light and a petco aerator that I only run at night and end up having a stock tank full .I lost all of mine one year and I was away when the frost hit and killed my water lettuce .It is easy The aerator has 4 ports on it and was less than 30 dollars

Sissy....Seems like alot of work for plants you can buy for a couple of bucks in the spring again

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not really .They tend to take care of them selves once you get them going .Plus I get to give lots of them away to ponder friends here earlier in the season .Plus there are no garden center here that you can get them only online and I know how mine were grown and that they are healthy .Plus I get lots of hugs from people happy to get free plants and there smile makes my day .I have also given lots of my banana plants away to my ponder friends here .It is all worth it in the end .They would have to drive over 2 hours away to get them and that pond store asks 7 dollars a plant and they were tiny and looked unhealthy .If they go to NC they do not handle them.I would always repot any plant you plan to put in your pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just noticed today that my hyacinths' roots are coated in string algea. Not sure if they have been for a while, but I just noticed it this week. Could this be why they're struggling??

Ask a Question