Flow Problem - Please Help

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Head is the amount of lift the pump has to overcome. It is measured in feet in most cases. More head means less flow.

Reaction score
The pond is probably two and a half feet deep.

Is that the flow you expect from that pump given that fact?

Or is the 3/4 inch tubing probably the problem?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Head begins at pond level and is measured at the highest point above that. So if you have a 24" waterfall, the head is 2 feet. Most pumps publish the flow at a given head.

Reaction score
So if the pond is 2.5 feet deep, and the waterfall is 10 inches (?) high, the flow chart on this pump (a Beckett 1150 GPH) says it should still be good for over 1000 GPH...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I DONT IF ITS YOUR PROBLEM, BUT...Going from 3/4" to 1" on the hose can make a nice difference. Always a good idea to go as big as possible. And 10' of horizontal hose run is equal to 1' vertical (head)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The width of your waterfall also is a factor, the wider it is, the more flow you need to have a fast flow over it.

The first link is a on line calculator for the width of your waterfall:
The other two are more detailed math type calculations.......(first is easier)
http://www.pondliner.com/product/waterfall_flow_calculator/topic

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/weirs-flow-rate-d_592.html

http://www.aquatext.com/calcs/weir flow.htm

The larger your pipes, like they say, the better your flow will be too.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your reduction of flow I suspect, is the pressure filter. The number of elbows you have will also contribute to lower flow.

I use the same pump and have about 4' of head, I get more flow than seen here. Make sure the pump cover is not clogged with leaves and junk. I have to clean mine a few times a year. That said, I use the Doc Filter which is free flowing and gravity return. You might want to reconsider your filter.

Reaction score
Too small of tubing/hose causes friction that the water flow has to overcome. What is the largest size hose inlet your filter can adapt to.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
also, i'm sure you did... but if your adaptor (nipple) for the outhet hose is teired and takes 1/2" hose up to 1" or 1&1/4" (as some do). make sure you've cut the nipple to the size hose your using. a 1/2" opening into a 1" hose will still cause some flow reduction.... chances are its the filter, or a clog in the system maybe in the pump itself.

Ask a Question