Flow valve question for corrugated tubing

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I'm using a T connection with 1" corrugated hose. One section of the T returns a portion of the flow back to the pond where the pump is located, while the other section goes to the head of the waterway (upstream). Of course the other section is from the pump.

The reason I have this configuration is b/c the flow from the pump is too much for the waterway, but as the waterway is extended in the future further upstream, more flow will be required.

My problem is regulating the flow between the pond and the upstream section. I'm currently using two small flat bars of steel, each with 2 holes and both sections joined with bolts, to compress the hose. The solution works but is not elegant and I'm thinking might eventually damage the hose. Also, I have to tighten or loosen the bolts, which is a headache, when I want to "tweak" the flow.

I don't want to spend a heap of money on a flow control valve but if there's one out there made for corrugated plastic 1" tubing that isn't costly (

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
You can add a ball valve to restrict the water going to a certain place. You will need to get the threaded/barbed fitting for each side of the valve and then the correct pvc to connect to that. In my home depot those parts are in two different sections of the store. Hope this helps.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm using ball valves as drain cocks and they work well but I've never seen one that can take a corrugated plastic 1" tube. The threads are made for male or female connections and the smooth ones are designed to be glued to pieces of PVC tube that are not corregated. I'll have to look again to see what you mean.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i gotta say...you dont really want to pump any of the returning water back near the pump. your water should return to the pond at the opposite end from the pump to properly circulate the whole pond...furthest point(s) if your pump is centerally located

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
SE18 said:
Thanks. I'm using ball valves as drain cocks and they work well but I've never seen one that can take a corrugated plastic 1" tube. The threads are made for male or female connections and the smooth ones are designed to be glued to pieces of PVC tube that are not corregated. I'll have to look again to see what you mean.

The threaded parts you need are back in the toilet section where they sell the plastic tubing. Then from the sprinkler section you can get a coupler that is slip/thread. Push the barbed end of the threaded/barbed piece into you tubing and secure. Thread the pvc slip/thread onto the threaded piece. Connect the ball valve to the slip end of the pvc connector with the lenght of pvc you desire.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Here is a pic of something I did in my wet/dry set up. You can see kind of what I mean.

Attachments

• DSC00063 (Custom).JPG
    DSC00063 (Custom).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 329

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Nice setup you got there. I don't see any corrugated tubing so I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing.

Here's a shot of my 3 way tube and corrugation. The section with my jury-rigged flow adjuster is not shown.

Fitting a ball valve on this type corrugation is what I need. My only idea is to use a rubber sleeve with one end on the corrugated piece and the other on PVC short section plugged into a ball valve.

ry%3D480

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have vinyl tubing for this setup but the idea is the same. I wanted to show more of the fitting connecting the pvc to the tubing. I was thinking if you can get the threaded/barbed fittings in 1".

Reaction score
You get a pvc ball valve with female pipe threads. Then in the sprinkler section is high pressure male thread to male nipple fittings. You put on on each side of the ball valve.

Picture.jpg

SE18

David V
Reaction score
OK, now I see. I didn't figure out the word "barbed." (but I can see in the photo the left side is barbed, which often is done in a step-wise fashion to accommodate hoses of different diameters. This one seems made for 1 type

I will now do some aisle walking

thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
$6.31 at Lowes, 3/4" barbed fitting to 3/4" pvc female slip. Picked this up while I was out. LOL

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 349

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are your fish showing off fishin? they are pretty.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, That's a brochure for Purdin Koi farm. Had to call them yesterday to make an appointment, Got a few things we need to pick up and want to get out of the house this weekend. Didn't even pat attention it was in the back ground. They do have nice fish huh? :lol:

Ask a Question