Fluke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a nightmare year with fluke that just won't die.
Mixed 7000 litre pond, a few koi and goldfish. Water parameters all good, plenty of oxygen going in
Bought a microscope and scraped in late spring (uk) due to flashing. Treat with f&g x 2 as identified skin fluke and chinodella..no joy
Recently advised to use chloramine t followed by lernex. Thoroughly cleaned filters etc. 3 weeks later, all flashing again. About to rescrape
Any advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’ve read that the fluke eggs in the pond can take up to 20 days to hatch in cool water, so perhaps you have more flukes maturing. I’m not familiar with what treatment you are using. Do you know what the active ingredients are?

This article https://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/help-information/flukes/ states “New studies have shown that although the eggs of these flukes are very resistant, one single treatment with Fluke-Solve™ can take care of any hatching larvae, so long as no major water changes are carried out for at least 4 weeks after treatment. However, just to be sure a second treatment 3 weeks after the first will make certain.” Fluke Solve is praziquantel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The medication that seem to be most often recommended these days as the most effective for flukes is Fluke-M. One treatment is usually all that is needed as it kills adults and eggs.

I think it is made in your country so it should be faily easy to find and less expensive for you than it is for me.

Ask a Question