Food for Koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see a big variation in the cost of various brands of Koi food. My husband took care of this pond and it's 12 18 inch Koi until his recent death. I am currently using Saki Hikar 1 color diet...A daily feeding is about 6 ounces which is consumed within two minutes.. I live in a small town so usually order my food on line and see a wide disparity in prices. Beside having more protein that cheaper brands, are these "finer" brands better digested and thus reduce the excrement?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I read somewhere that more proteins in koi food doesn't necessarily mean a better food, cause koi can only absorb so much and the rest will end up being extra organic matter in the water, which in turn can overwhelm the filter and cause foam, algae bloom etc

So it is best to take a look at the list of ingredients, rather than the amount of proteins
The label on pet food should work like those on human foods, the first ingredient being the largest component and so on..
...now we all know that koi would eat ANYTHING but being a water creature, I think I want a food that contains mostly water based ingredients, not filler grains etc

I feed my koi Omega One and Krill and it's a big step up from the grocery stores brands I was using, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in time Omega One have changed and now Salmon and shrimps are not the base of their product...still good, but not as good as it used to be

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read somewhere that more proteins in koi food doesn't necessarily mean a better food, cause koi can only absorb so much and the rest will end up being extra organic matter in the water, which in turn can overwhelm the filter and cause foam, algae bloom etc

So it is best to take a look at the list of ingredients, rather than the amount of proteins
The label on pet food should work like those on human foods, the first ingredient being the largest component and so on..
...now we all know that koi would eat ANYTHING but being a water creature, I think I want a food that contains mostly water based ingredients, not filler grains etc

I feed my koi Omega One and Krill and it's a big step up from the grocery stores brands I was using, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in time Omega One have changed and now Salmon and shrimps are not the base of their product...still good, but not as good as it used to be

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your comments have been very helpful as I to begin to understand more about Koi metabolism and diet than I ever expected to need to know. The amount per feeding must vary by "brand", number of fish and season. I offer about 6 oz of my current food in the early AM and this appears to satisfy. I welcome any and all suggestions to my limited skill set on pond management. docmargaret

Reaction score
I've been feeding Microbe-Lift variety mix and my koi seem to be doing well on it. It's a blend of summer staple food, growth and energy, and fruits and greens. I think it's a nice balance of everything they need nutritionally. I buy it in 40 lb quantity and that lasts me all year for my 13 koi 18" - 22" approx. It's not the cheapest food but buying in that quantity cuts the cost considerably. I get it from Webbsonline. The price is around $155 but they give a $25 certificate with it so the cost is actual $130, or $3.25 per pound, which is very reasonable for the quality. With everything I have invested in my pond equipment, I'm not going to skimp on food for the main attraction of the pond itself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been feeding Microbe-Lift variety mix and my koi seem to be doing well on it. It's a blend of summer staple food, growth and energy, and fruits and greens. I think it's a nice balance of everything they need nutritionally. I buy it in 40 lb quantity and that lasts me all year for my 13 koi 18" - 22" approx. It's not the cheapest food but buying in that quantity cuts the cost considerably. I get it from Webbsonline. The price is around $155 but they give a $25 certificate with it so the cost is actual $130, or $3.25 per pound, which is very reasonable for the quality. With everything I have invested in my pond equipment, I'm not going to skimp on food for the main attraction of the pond itself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Considering the amount of resources that goes into the up keep of our ponds, you are right that skimping on the cost of food makes no sense. The food I am currently using bought in bulk is $8/pound which is hard to justify if there are less expensive equally nutritious products. My husband used a "winter" food, which I questioned since deep south winters are mild. How cold does it need to get before you reduce the frequency or volume of your feedings? I appreciate your information about Microbe-Lift.

Reaction score
Considering the amount of resources that goes into the up keep of our ponds, you are right that skimping on the cost of food makes no sense. The food I am currently using bought in bulk is $8/pound which is hard to justify if there are less expensive equally nutritious products. My husband used a "winter" food, which I questioned since deep south winters are mild. How cold does it need to get before you reduce the frequency or volume of your feedings? I appreciate your information about Microbe-Lift.
Buying a larger quantity of food certainly reduces the cost per pound. The same food I'm paying $3.25 per pound for a 40 lb bag costs over $8 per pound in a 5 lb bag. I'm not saying Microbe-Lift is the best food for the money but I'm certainty more than satisfied with it.
During the fall getting close to winter it is imperative to switch to a colder climate food. The reason is koi are cold blooded and as the water gets colder their metabolism slows way down and they're not able to digest the higher protein summer food. They don't have stomachs and food that can't be digested due to their slowed metabolism just sits in their gut and can cause great harm, even death. So in the cooler months and in the early spring when they start getting active again you should feed them wheat germ food. It's a lot easier to digest.
I'm in Arkansas and it gets plenty cold here in the winter. From late Nov to early March I don't feed them at all. They'll let you know by their activity when they're ready to slow down or wake up as the seasons change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your comments have been very helpful as I to begin to understand more about Koi metabolism and diet than I ever expected to need to know. The amount per feeding must vary by "brand", number of fish and season. I offer about 6 oz of my current food in the early AM and this appears to satisfy. I welcome any and all suggestions to my limited skill set on pond management. docmargaret
You are doing great and your koi will love you for taking the time to learn how to better care for them!
I don't feed by weighting the food, I feed them lightly but I do it 2 to 3 times a day.
a few lite feedings are much better than the same amount of food all at once :)

Ask a Question