addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read sugar at the correct mixture is ok for the birds. The bees they do better on sugar honey than actual honey over the winter. Has something to do with ash content.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Exactly! The store bought stuff is expensive and the red dye isn't good for the hummers. Although I often wonder how good white sugar is for them...

You want to use only white (refined) cane sugar, believe it or not. Never use brown sugar or raw, unrefined sugar in your nectar - the impurities can be harmful. NEVER use honey as your sugar source when feeding hummers - according to the Audobon Society, honey used in feeders can kill hummingbirds.

Brilliant shots by the way, @RobAmy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You want to use only white (refined) cane sugar

Yup. I've read the same. It just strikes me as odd that the only thing I buy white sugar for is the hummingbirds... we don't eat it at all anymore. I do try to plant lots of flowers that they love, so once those start blooming I stop filling the feeders.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I buy white sugar for is the hummingbirds... we don't eat it at all anymore.
Lol we buy around 1500 lbs every year, sometimes more......................... got to feed those bees! We never use it either, for ourselves.

Ask a Question