Forum Software Upgrade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Change is good as long as everything stays the same.
Didn't we have a "Go to first un-read post" thingy?
John

Ian is still adding various bits to the forum software, so I've asked him to add this to his list (y) In the meantime, like the others have said you can view all unread posts via the "What's New" button.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! I just noticed when you scroll down the selection bar stays at the top. Now you can go to a new post without scrolling all the way up again! YEAH! I love that:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've added the Thread Starter icon back, but it took a lot more work than I expected for such a small thing, so please let me know if there are any bugs with the layout of the icons (particularly on mobile devices). There should be a green icon under the avatar if the user is online and an orange one if they are the thread starter.

Change is good as long as everything stays the same.
Didn't we have a "Go to first un-read post" thingy?
John

I've been coding a few new bits today and came to implement this, however it looks like the forum software will now automatically take you to the latest unread post when you click on a thread from the forum or what's new page (perhaps not if you use the sidebar). I'll test it out a bit more to make sure it works as expected :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
BTW, if anyone wants to test out the new gallery or showcase... please be my guest :D. Neither have been updated with a new entry since the update (although I've tested it out), so I'd be interested to hear if they work as expected. Whatever is posted in there will end up in the next newsletter too :).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was just wondering if we will eventually be able to see which area people are from again. Not country but states etc. ? @Becky or @Ian

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A little slow sometimes here, just noticed the thread starter has a orange circle with a i (well it looks like a i in it)
Nice to have

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was just wondering if we will eventually be able to see which area people are from again. Not country but states etc. ? @Becky or @Ian

Oh yes! I've added this back now :).

A little slow sometimes here, just noticed the thread starter has a orange circle with a i (well it looks like a i in it)
Nice to have

Glad you like it :D. Is page loading noticeably slower? It's likely because of the similar threads list at the bottom of the page, but I'm going to work on speeding that up substantially this week.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's likely because of the similar threads list at the bottom of the page, but I'm going to work on speeding that up substantially this week.

I've coded a cache for what I think was slowing the similar threads down, so hopefully things should be faster now. It's experimental code, so please do let me know if you spot anything odd with the similar threads feature.

edit: found a bug, so disabled again for now - I'll keep working on it.

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not noticed a real difference. Maybe a bit slower.
I clicked through a bunch of threads, did not notice anything worth complaining about. Did not notice any slow down actually, even the photo intense ones.

I am on a lappy and wifi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not a big deal but my icon that shows up on visited favorite sites, shows as living reefs icon. It was Garden pond forums. That is on a Mac

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at this now :).

Ask a Question