Free Koi to a Good Home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
IMG_0209.jpgIMG_0211.jpgHi, I have mentioned before that I am a first time ponder and have a 160 gallon pre-formed pond. I took the advice of the pet store and the aquarium guy and bought too many koi for my pond size. I have had them for 1 and 1/2 years and they are great. The only problem is that they are WAY TOO BIG for my tiny pond. I am hoping that someone will understand my problem and be willing to help me out. Some of you recommend I dig a bigger pond for them, but I don't have a way to put them in a holding tank and I have VERY limited space on my enclosed patio to build a bigger pond. Others of you recommend getting some small goldies for my size pond - which I will probably do .

I would gladly give them away to a good home if someone would be interested in coming to get them from me. I already talked to the Daytona Aquarium store and they would gladly take them but I have no way to get them there safely.

I have 5 adorable koi. They are typically shy but will take food from my hand. I will tell you that they are BIG! Four of the five are about 18" long and one is smaller at about 12 - 14". One is solid orange, one is primarily yellow, one is orange and white , one is silver calico and one is white calico.

I love them dearly but fear that they will suffer if I keep them in such a small space. They are all healthy and I have had no problems with them. I do weekly water changes to keep them happy!

The fish are in DeBary, Florida, which is in between Daytona and Orlando. If you think you could love these cuties and have the means to come and get them safely to a new pond, I would be more than happy to have you "adopt" them. I attached some pictures, they are the best I have at this time. Thanks for the consideration!

Chris

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thoxe are some nice looking koi you have there hope you find a home for them .There are some people on here that live in Florida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks sissy! Of course I thing they are adorable. It pains me to think about having to give them up but I really feel bad every time I see them swim around in such a limited space. Hopefully someone will know someone who might want them. They are really wonderful pets! I even contacted the Gaylord Palms Resort in Orlando because they have a beautiful indoor lake with koi and they would take them but I would have to get them there and that is my worry. I would die if anything happened to them along the way. Do you have koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Chris:

seems if you had some empty (and clean) plastic garbage cans, you could borrow a pickup from a buddy and transport your fish to a larger home. At least, that's how I would handle it (I have both the empty cans AND a truck, but am far from Fla!)

Just a thought. And of course I second the notion of building bigger and better so you don't have to be separated from your family, but I can understand when the 'kids' outgrow the house!

Michael

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Im interested. I am in st pete @ 1-1 1/12 hours from you. Can you not transport at all? Maybe meet half way? Kissimmee? If not i am still interested.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we moved the rescue fish, we stuck some large pvc pipes into the bags with the fish, the other end out of the window pointing into the wind, they got well aerated as we drove them home. We had to move them about a hour drive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Koidaddy - thanks so much for your interest. Not trying to be unhelpful or ungrateful, but since I am new to the fish keeping scene all together, I don't even know how I would safely get them out of the pond without hurting them. I guess I need someone who already knows what they are doing regarding koi fish keeping. If you would feel up to taking the trip over to DeBary I would be most grateful. I have no way to move them, containers large enough, a truck to put them in, etc. They are really big to transport. I was told by the aquarium to put them in coolers to move them but without a proper vehicle to put them in and there would be a few coolers, I don't know. I know it is quite far for you to go, but it would be so great if someone who knew about koi and would take care of them would get them. Do you think the fish be ok for that long without aeration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Koidaddy - thanks so much for your interest. Not trying to be unhelpful or ungrateful, but since I am new to the fish keeping scene all together, I don't even know how I would safely get them out of the pond without hurting them. I guess I need someone who already knows what they are doing regarding koi fish keeping. If you would feel up to taking the trip over to DeBary I would be most grateful. I have no way to move them, containers large enough, a truck to put them in, etc. They are really big to transport. I was told by the aquarium to put them in coolers to move them but without a proper vehicle to put them in and there would be a few coolers, I don't know. I know it is quite far for you to go, but it would be so great if someone who knew about koi and would take care of them would get them. Do you think the fish be ok for that long without aeration? Im interested. I am in st pete @ 1-1 1/12 hours from you. Can you not transport at all? Maybe meet half way? Kissimmee? If not i am still interested.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh addys snorkle car .Koi are easy to catch with a long pillow case .When I had to redo my pond after a neighbor dog ripped my liner ,I used a pillow case for the over 2 foot ones and a swimming pool deep basket net for the small ones .Actually addys idea worked great and all you need is totes or garbage cans it would be easy .I transported some from over an hour away and they made it fine .I found a great thing a big als .com that is an oxygen tablet you use it for fish tanks when you loose electricity or you can get a battery operated air pump .

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Try not to do any water changes untill afterI pick up if thats ok. I will use your pond water to transport. Also dont feen after say friday so they can poop out. This will help.

Ask a Question