Free Koi to a Good Home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Also, I have no idea how you grew your koi to such large lengths in the size pond you have, unless you purchased them when they were larger. I have a 4,000 gal pond, and I feed my fish, and I know they have all grown a lot since first put in there on July 2, but the size of your fish? WOW!!! You must have been doing something right, and taking fantastic care of them for them to be such beauties! Yes, they will be much happier, and you will get new fish and learn to love them just as much as you do the ones you have now, but on a smaller scale. My motto on life, "Things work out for the best", and this situation is definitely working out for the best for all concerned! When you buy goldfish, pick and choose them for what you really want! I wish I could send you some of my babies that I have! Again, I just built my pond in May, fish went in first weekend in July, and I already have goldfish babies (the goldies were in before the koi, so they were there since mid-June). I have some beauties, but I know everyone else is the same, their babies are the cutest! :)
I don't know what we did "right" or "wrong" to make them grow so big so quickly. I got them all at about 3" - 4", except for one that was slightly larger when we bought him. I feed them Hikari Gold or Hikari Staple food and Hikari Wheat in the winter colder temps. All of them are healthy and hearty looking fish, the silver calico looks rounder than the rest but doesn't seem to be eating more than the others. We were surprised that they grew so big! The petco store and Daytona aquarium guy said they would be fine in this size pond and even suggested we have more in there!!!! What are they thinking? I can't imagine them saying that just to get us to purchase more fish, knowing full well that they will outgrow the pond and that the water quality can be hard to maintain with that many fish it there. We do weekly water changes to keep the water clean and the ammonia in check. We use Pond Solutions ULTIMATE full-function water conditioner. We have a waterfall filter set up on one side of the little pond and a small "skippy" filter on the other. I hope all goes well with their move, and like you said CountyEscape, we all think they are the cutest!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know what we did "right" or "wrong" to make them grow so big so quickly. I got them all at about 3" - 4", except for one that was slightly larger when we bought him. I feed them Hikari Gold or Hikari Staple food and Hikari Wheat in the winter colder temps. All of them are healthy and hearty looking fish, the silver calico looks rounder than the rest but doesn't seem to be eating more than the others. We were surprised that they grew so big! The petco store and Daytona aquarium guy said they would be fine in this size pond and even suggested we have more in there!!!! What are they thinking? I can't imagine them saying that just to get us to purchase more fish, knowing full well that they will outgrow the pond and that the water quality can be hard to maintain with that many fish it there. We do weekly water changes to keep the water clean and the ammonia in check. We use Pond Solutions ULTIMATE full-function water conditioner. We have a waterfall filter set up on one side of the little pond and a small "skippy" filter on the other. I hope all goes well with their move, and like you said CountyEscape, we all think they are the cutest!
Just had to post a correction, normally I would let a spelling error go if I made one, but to call you County Escape instead of Country Escape made me feel like I was calling you an escaped felon!!! That just wouldn't be right!!! lol SORRY!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have everything ready for the trip sunday. I will do my best to get them here safely. Thanks again.
Great, I really hope you know how happy your help has made me. I really appreciate the effort you are making in order to keep the fish safe and happy. Please drive safe and call if you have any directions issues. See you Sunday!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Country; I see you are in Illinois, whereas Chris is in Florida. Your fish basically have about a seven month growing period every year, since you shouldn't feed them during the cold weather. Chris' fish, on the other hand, are probably being fed year-round, so they will be growing much faster than yours! John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just had to post a correction, normally I would let a spelling error go if I made one, but to call you County Escape instead of Country Escape made me feel like I was calling you an escaped felon!!! That just wouldn't be right!!! lol SORRY!!!!
Haha, Chris, I'm anal about misspelled words, but I didn't even notice your mistake! So, no harm no foul!
Country; I see you are in Illinois, whereas Chris is in Florida. Your fish basically have about a seven month growing period every year, since you shouldn't feed them during the cold weather. Chris' fish, on the other hand, are probably being fed year-round, so they will be growing much faster than yours! John
John, I didn't even think about that factor! I guess I always heard the larger the area, the larger the fish grow and the faster they grow. Chris has sure shown that a small pond can sure produce some huge koi! I'm just very impressed. And, I'm so happy they are getting a new larger home. Koidaddy is a very lucky ponder, and you are, too, Chris, to have all these people around to help out! It's a win/win deal.
And, Koidaddy, I like your attitude about what comes around goes around, although you put it a different way, and I forgot to "quote" it. :) You know what I mean. Great thought!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well they made it home safely. I will take some pics in a few and post. Thanks again Chris.
GREAT!!!! I have to say I miss them already! I want to give you a big THANKS for coming all the way out to DeBary and for giving them a loving home! Who would have guessed they would have been such jumpers!! Take care!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Im sure you do miss them Chris, thank you again for giving me your loved ones. I have a cover over the pond so were good. They are swimming around some after sitting on the bottom for a few. I will keep you posted for sure.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear they made it safely to koidaddy's pond and looking forward to seeing the pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Im sure you do miss them Chris, thank you again for giving me your loved ones. I have a cover over the pond so were good. They are swimming around some after sitting on the bottom for a few. I will keep you posted for sure.
koidaddy, it was a real pleasure meeting you and your wife today. It's really nice to know that there are still good people out there! I'm glad to hear that they are coming around, I wondered if they had settled down. I hope they give you no trouble in the future and thanks again for everything!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Glad to hear they made it safely to koidaddy's pond and looking forward to seeing the pics.
Thanks for your well wishes. Koidaddy was the nicest and he and his wife helped these koi out tremendously. They were a handful to move.....they were so big and strong and had this crazy idea that they would be happier jumping out of my pond and the transport containers! I know they will be loved and taken care of and that makes me very happy!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
They are all doing fine this morning. They even came up to eat. They are playing follow the leader and love to play in the waterfall. I will take some more pics today and post.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great to hear! Always nice to hear a good end of the story.

Ask a Question