Free Free to a good home lily tubers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Darn, if only I’d caught this thread sooner! I need more for the planted tank, which as they grow, will go to the pond next year. Oh well!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a few that need tubers yanked. Noticed how full they were but didn't want to deal with it. May be sending more out in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I am so excited about my little tubers! ( Some are biggies!) :D Thank you Addy1!!!! I dont have a clue how to over winter them......I sunk some down in pots in specal kitty clay kitty litter to the bottom of my pond, It never freezes, and put some in the shed in damp kitty litter, covered in the shed. What is best , and what is the best way to plant them in the spring so I get nice lillies? I saw something about using oil pans?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The best, if you don't want to bother planting them right now. Put in a mesh bag, weigh down with a rock and sink them. I save tubers, if I don't get rid of all, over winter that way. They do fine.

Planting. I use walmart oil pans, put around 1/4 cup osmocote in the bottom of the pan, cover with litter, place the tuber with the growing tip up out of the litter. I try to get the growing point heading towards the center of the pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
How do you tell where the growing tip is???..... they look like alien life forms with tentacles.........
download.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The end w/all the little buds coming up out of is the tip. On the right in this photo. The butt end is tipless and drab and you butt it up against your pot so the growing tip can reach out and grow across the pot. Keep growing tip above soil level and not buried.

Lily tuber.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Perfect picture to illustrate that @addy1 !
lol that was @j.w

Also since I groomed them hard, ie big leaves cut off look for tiny leaves, a group of stems, etc. All of the lilies I sent had see-able growing tips . If unsure save it for spring, toss in a net bag, weigh with a rock and sink, they will start growing and be real easy to tell the growing tips.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any chance this thread is still alive? I'm new here but am trying to get my pond filled with plants now that I am in year two. Year 1 definitely did not have enough!

Ask a Question