Freshwater sponges

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Is anybody using them in their ponds? I'm interested in adding some, and I wondered if anyone has experience to share!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, I have never kept a freshwater sponge. But I wouldn't do it. Sponges are sensitive to water quality and are filter feeders like clams and starve without an ample supply of micro- organisms and plankton. I especially wouldn't do it if you have fish in your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As I understand it there are some freshwater sponges that live in rivers, and some that live in ponds (naturally), but I've never actually seen one! I would try to get the still water variety. Reports online indicate sightings in my state, which makes me think they might do ok. I also am interested in a natural setup, though I have not been able to find a place to buy the fish that is native here, unfortunately. Quite a few water insects have already moved themselves in, however :).

I'd love one like this from Montana... Why not put one in and help filter the water? https://www.mtpr.org/post/sponges-these-aquatic-oddities-call-montana-home

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Interesting article. Those sponges survive through Montana winters.
Some of the moss I have (northeastern PA) almost look like that. Some of them are kind of spongy.
We love moss. There are many different looking mosses too. Some of them just started growing on the rocks around the pond. Some I transplanted to the pond from other areas around our property. It all survives the winter too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, I figure if they survive that they can certainly survive here, if I can find a good source :)
I love moss too; I've harvested some to plant on part of my pond edge, just waiting for cooler weather as it is really hot this week.

Ask a Question