addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had a huge bull frog show up once, I very nicely caught it and took it to a very nice bull frog happy pond. I have not seen any since. I am sure some move in and move out, but we still have tons of small frogs.

I like my small frogs, no desire to let a monster eat them up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Whenever we get a big bully, all of the smaller frogs disappear - yet eaten maybe, or just head for safer hunting grounds. Then the big guy will leave and slowly we'll get the littler ones back. Just the ebb and tide of life in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At least the little ones come back. I have a ton of little ones right now, the tads from last year are growing their legs. And we just always have a ton of small frogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have frogs by the million here in our neighborhood. We are surrounded by natural ponds - we will never run out, of that I am confident!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
how long did it take for frogs to show up when your ponds were first built?

Is it best to let nature take its course rather than catch some from local pond and transplant them?

Odd that I have a garden full of bugs and worms but no toads...hoping frogs and toads will start showing up soon...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Do you have snakes? The garter snakes here eat a lot of my frogs. Be careful what you wish for though...I get hundreds of toads mating in my pond every spring and it is a full time job keeping them out of the skimmers. Also, the males mount the females and drown many of them when two or more jump on them. Eggs everywhere...I would let nature decide when and how many.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Do you have snakes? The garter snakes here eat a lot of my frogs. Be careful what you wish for though...I get hundreds of toads mating in my pond every spring and it is a full time job keeping them out of the skimmers. Also, the males mount the females and drown many of them when two or more jump on them. Eggs everywhere...I would let nature decide when and how many.
@rubyduby no snakes...gardens galore...absolutely loaded with worms and bugs...really shocking that I've never seen a toad...

I'm told the frogs will come eventually...

I hear you though about being careful what you wish for...my neighbour has had a mink in his small pond...eats the fish but likely takes care of his rat problem too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
how long did it take for frogs to show up when your ponds were first built?

Is it best to let nature take its course rather than catch some from local pond and transplant them?

Odd that I have a garden full of bugs and worms but no toads...hoping frogs and toads will start showing up soon...

When I built my pond last July I had a half-dozen frogs show up within 3-4 weeks and hang out the rest of the summer.

This year I had one hanging around for a week or two in early June and now there's none - just a single toad that swims laps after dark. Hopefully some frogs show up in July again. I enjoy having them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One of the things we miss right now, being between ponds....frogs & toads! We have a few that we hear every once in a while, and have spotted a couple, but it’s just not the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The frogs knew what was coming and were just trying to be first in line . . .

Seriously, I would love to have some frogs show up. I'm calling my pond "Frogmore" in aspiration of the day when I have more frogs than I do now—which is none. Pond is only two months old, however, so I know I need to be patient.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have snakes, hawks and frogs! Oh and chipmunks again, they disappeared for awhile

Ask a Question