Frogs Only Please.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We get so many peepers at my house! I love hearing them at night when they really get going. I always have a tray of veggie starts for winter going in late summer/early fall when most froggies are tucked away someplace damp, and one peeper always hides out in the tray eating fruit flies and such.
Last year we ended up making a free-range vivarium when it was time to plant the veggies. We even named the frog Gilly o_O He had a heat mat under the 'bouncy castle', a covered sleeping 'patio' under a bit of terra cotta pot tucked into a plant. We changed his hot tub water every day, and he would have a soak each night. It got so bad by winter that we had to hang some pretty fairy lights and buy grubs for him to eat once the fruit flies died off.
Eventually it was too cold for too long and he took himself off to the cool damp zone under the porch downspout.
I'm sure another Gilly will return this year :D
View attachment 90636
Here he is, snoozing next to the plant tray. Before we made his Gilly house he lived in the tray on top of our woodbox. As we planted out starts we put a potted plant there for cover, and later put a banana peel there to attract fruit flies. He would use the peel like a hunting blind. View attachment 90637
View attachment 90638
Great looking frogs

Ben

Living in Carolina country!
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had 11 bullfrogs and 2 leopard frogs in my two small garden ponds yesterday. I don't know where they came from as the nearest river or farm pond is over a mile away. I've had a couple of frogs every year for the last 4 or 5 years, but never so many! Love was in the air too given all of the croaking going on.

Attachments

• pond 1.JPG
    pond 1.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 208
  • pond 2.JPG
    pond 2.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I don't see tree frogs very often, but this very small guy decided it was ok for me to take his picture. See the screw head in the picture? That will give you an idea of his size. :) He is sitting on the top edge of my sliding screen door handle.
tree frog.JPG

I have 2-4 bullfrogs that sing every evening just before dark. I have taken videos, mainly for the audio because I never can see the frogs while they are croaking, and gotten them going back and forth several times in a minute. I love hearing them!!!

Ben

Living in Carolina country!
Reaction score
Country
United States
Got a couple of photos of some of the bullfrogs sunning themselves this morning. Still counted 9 between my two small ponds. Spotted three smaller Leopard frogs and a gray tree frog as well a couple of toads. Very noisy at night but I love it! I made a toad house out of a terracotta pot - chipped an opening on the lip and placed it near my smaller pond.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 228
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 178
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 200
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 186
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:cry: Killed another frog this past weekend... was using a dingo to move wisteria vines I've cut... and I notice a bull frog. I was so happy until it tried to move.. and it looked weird trying to move... poor thing got ran over by the dingo. it's a good size adult frog too.. thought it might be coming to mate but got cut short. oh well..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a cutie. We have tiny ones, don't see them often. Usually only see them during mating season in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well I have a leopard frog and 4 green frogs in the pond. When I went out before work to check on the pond this am I find my big green frog sitting along the edge with half a goldfish hanging out of his mouth. Well he took a dive down to the bottom and I had a long net handy so I scooped him up quick and he spit out the goldfish. The goldfish is about 4 inches long. The fish was still alive and lost some scales in the ordeal but I tossed him back into the pond and he swam away. Mr big frog is going byebye. I know thats just mother nature at work here and it wouldn't hurt to thin the herd a bit but my luck it would be one of my favorites. So we will take a drive and he can live elswhere. lol
Fish were spawning this am and Im sure they were right up where he likes to sit and Im not surprised he thought about breakfast!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I have not seen any frogs with fish in their mouths, but I have seen the water spiders with small fry up on the lily pads having a snack.

Reaction score
Well I have a leopard frog and 4 green frogs in the pond. When I went out before work to check on the pond this am I find my big green frog sitting along the edge with half a goldfish hanging out of his mouth. Well he took a dive down to the bottom and I had a long net handy so I scooped him up quick and he spit out the goldfish. The goldfish is about 4 inches long. The fish was still alive and lost some scales in the ordeal but I tossed him back into the pond and he swam away. Mr big frog is going byebye. I know thats just mother nature at work here and it wouldn't hurt to thin the herd a bit but my luck it would be one of my favorites. So we will take a drive and he can live elswhere. lol
Fish were spawning this am and Im sure they were right up where he likes to sit and Im not surprised he thought about breakfast!
Drive Mr Big Frog up here, I need a frog like that to thin out my herd a little. And while your at it you can take a dozen or so goldfish back home with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Ive only seen one frog this season. Since the drought set in, the frogs went from the dozens (literally) to none. Im saddened by this and hope, in time, they return. I have the snakes though. Little garters seeking flies or a frog, I bet. I just lost a fantail. Not sure if it was a snake or Jay.

Ask a Question