Frogs Only Please.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My main problem this year has been toads! I have had dozens! So much so that I have had to relocate many. They are hard on my plants along the edge of the pond and I have scooped out more toad eggs then I can tell you! I would guess that that many toads also have an effect on my water quality. Lots of extra poo. I have also scooped out 4 dead semi bloated toads in the pond. Probably drowned from to many males. Seems like I am anti frog and toads here. I dont mind them in moderation but the amount I have at my pond has been ridiculous! There are creeks around here but farm ponds and backyard ponds, not so much. I would love to keep them around for the bugs but there has just been an overwhelming amount of them. There is still plenty of tads in the pond now. Cant get them all. So I imagine this will be an ongoing problem for me each spring. :banghead:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see, pure guess, each night the toads are breeding around 20 plus in the pond mating. They dump loads of eggs, then the spring peepers move and dump eggs, then the green frogs turn comes.
Even with thousands of eggs then tads, I have never seen a water quality issue. The toads grow legs and hop away pretty quickly, then you hardly see any in the yard. Every now and then see a adult toad. The frogs hang around the pond most of the summer, but the breeding numbers decrease after they dump eggs, no clue where they go.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few of our frogs. These are the slow flow warm fishless ponds.

IMG_4292.JPG
IMG_4304.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Found this little guy yesterday while cleaning my bog. SO HAPPY!! I already accidentally killed 2 grown frogs this spring and to see a baby green frog living in my bog makes me so happy

IMG_5618.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
IMAG0882.jpg

Found these guys yesterday afternoon, the first of the my six store-bought tadpoles to mature. I've only seen the fat one today, so the skinny one either hopped out or something got him, as I also found a chewed-up tadpole head in the pond this morning. Would koi go after one of those big 4"-5" tadpoles? I could've sworn one of them went after one of these two guys before he made it to a lily pad.

Ask a Question