Full Sun??

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Evening all,

Well, I just broke ground today myself. Feels pretty good :) I also have what seems like
2000 pounds of rock that I gathered by hand with my sons old wagon. I managed to get
all the rock from surrounding construction sites as homes are going up everywhere.

Looks like my pond is going to end up in full sun for a large portion of the day. What are my options for protecting the pond from the sun? Possibly UV Filters or should I even try planting something that will be tall enough and possibly have a lean so it is over top of the
pond somewhat? Not really sure.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
the sun is not a bad thing
Plants in the water is the way to go

Reaction score
Mine is in the sun for about 8-9 hours, I find that hardy lilies (they will survive in Ontario) work well. And as soon as it gets kinda warm I put Water hyacinth, and water lettuce on the surface of the pond until the lilly leaves come up. Hope all goes well with construction...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I too have a pond in full sun. The algae build-up and oxygenating the water enough will be quite challenging if you can't get it planted enough. I purchased some of the floating nets and put in water lettuce and water hyacinths which helped provide much needed shade. I also put in lillies, arrow, grasses and I sprung for a lotus and praying the harsh winter did not kill it. For the spring I put the floaters in to help give the fish a place to hide from predators and give tem a little shade. Good luck and you know everyone will be looking forward to pictures!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ah.. the shallow pond in full sun dilema...my pond is in full sun 10+ hours a day...plenty of floating and surface vegetation is an easy fix... lillies, hiacynth,lettuce will provide the neccessary shade and cover for your fish to hide in , should it become neccessary. a $20.00 hiacynth investment will multiply and pay for itself in no time if you sell the excess on craigslist.not to mention the veggy filtration they provide.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Great ideas everyone, thank you very much. I have calculated that my pond is getting between 9 - 10 hours a day. Not sure if that qualifies for full sun now??

Full sun hits the pond at 9 am and is gone behind the house that is directly behind me by roughly 7 pmish or there abouts.

Ask a Question