Fungus and bacteria

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This is the second summer for my pond. It is 22 ft by 11ft and 3 ft deep. We currently have about 40 fish- koi n goldfish. I've noticed on fish with fungus around his mouth and two fishes with issues on their sides n back. Looks like their scales r coming off. I've already lost one fish with a large nasty sore on the side of his body. I suspect it's fungus n bacteria. My local pond store gave me medicated fish food. What else should I do? Throughout the winter n even now the ph is at 8.4 and the ammonia is near zero. I have a biofalls n two air stones going. I have been adding biologist n have submerged oxygenators as well as surface oxygenators n marginal plants. I've had to do several water changes this spring to get the salt level down to .2 ppm. This past winter we had ich n we had to elevate the salt level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mmm' Areomonas infected perhaps Crazy for ponds?

Dave
Yes! That is what the dead fish looked like. What do I do. The pond store guy gave me medicated food and said it would take care of both bacteria and fungus. From what I am reading medicated food does not take care of bacterial infections.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes! That is what the dead fish looked like. What do I do. The pond store guy gave me medicated food and said it would take care of both bacteria and fungus. From what I am reading medicated food does not take care of bacterial infections.
Medicated food treats internal bacterial infections.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can't remember exactly the flow rate but I know it was large. We purschased a mega pond kit that would take care of 2000 gal water. It is an eco-system pond.

Sorry, but your figures don't jive.
An eco-system pond of the dimensions that you gave would have a 4000+ gallon capacity. A 2000 gallon kit would not have sufficient liner for this size pond. Not to mention that the skimmer, filter and pump included in a 2000 gallon kit would be dangerously undersized for use in a 4000+ gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry, but your figures don't jive.
An eco-system pond of the dimensions that you gave would have a 4000+ gallon capacity. A 2000 gallon kit would not have sufficient liner for this size pond. Not to mention that the skimmer, filter and pump included in a 2000 gallon kit would be dangerously undersized for use in a 4000+ gallon pond.
Sorry. You are right. I was probably thinking about the price of the pond kit. I checked and the pump is 8000 GPH with a BF 3800 filtering spillway and a PS 7000 skimmer.

Ask a Question