Fungus on Eggs

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a 2 gallon tank laid with goldfish eggs. I did the manual procedure for male and female. Lucky i did, cause i think both of the females was going to die from exhaustion from the males. Nearly 3 days of chasing. After i milked them they settle right down.

There is about 200 eggs but most of them have fungus on them. I can see around 20-30 eggs without fungus and can see two black dots in them, so they are fertilized.

What should i do now? Try and remove the healthy ones into a new tank?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
do u have aeration and circulation of water

Yep I have a airstone running. I try to keep water between 20 - 24C. I added some Tetra Safe and a tiny drop of Medifin for the fungus. Not sure if it's safe on eggs though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Yep I have a airstone running. I try to keep water between 20 - 24C. I added some Tetra Safe and a tiny drop of Medifin for the fungus. Not sure if it's safe on eggs though.
cool did u transfered eggs from pond to tank after it was fertilized? yes i was gona say ppl recommend melathyle blue or any antifungul dye , it can b that those whitish eggs are not ferlilized either , happens majority wil b unfertilized . i think unfertilized r milky then they grow fungus

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
cool did u transfered eggs from pond to tank after it was fertilized? yes i was gona say ppl recommend melathyle blue or any antifungul dye , it can b that those whitish eggs are not ferlilized either , happens majority wil b unfertilized . i think unfertilized r milky then they grow fungus

I first picked the females from the pond and squeeze out the eggs, likewise for the males. The eggs didn't change color, most just stayed the same, yellow and clear. The fungus appear on most the eggs, which were all infertile.

The ones I painfully hand picked have 2 eyes and a tail.

Will try get some Melathyle Blue. Thanks for the tip.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fungal infection of fish eggs is quite common place in nature.There are many chemical treatments available. If you opt to use Methylene Blue use it only as a dip and rinse the eggs afterwards. To ensure against any re-occurence, water movement must be provided.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Just check the plants in the pond, they are covered in eggs. However they seem infertile. The water past few days was around 11-14C, I'm guessing to cold?
Can eggs survive until warmer temps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
do u have only goldfish? if so then u dont need to do any thing extra then there will b fry , only reason they get fungus or dont hatch is lack of waterflow and aeration but even in most suitable conditions , majority wil not hatch , thats nature , if u wana do business then thats another story u can learn ways how to maximize

i think ur water is very cold can u have heater? maintain around 20C

yes eggs hatch in warmer climate , in spring or summers , they shud hatch in a week , here they hatch in 4 days , depends on weather

Last edited:

Ask a Question