Fussy fish !!!

Reaction score
I have been trying different foods out on my fish, with not much success. So far I have tried oranges, water melon, banana, grapes, prawns, lettuce & cucumber all these foods they haven't touched. They have eaten brown bread, worms, dried shrimps, meal worms & sweetcorn, they go mad for frozen blood worms.
I know Dave 54 put a list of alternative foods to try that gave me the ldea to try other foods with not much success
On a separate note ive noticed my fish jumping a lot more lately my water temp is around 16 - 19 degrees and my water tests are ok any ideas why ????

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Willo How are you introducing the foods? Do you toss in small bits or are you "floating" them on the surface [I saw this done with watermelon and an orange that floated so the fish could graze]? Just curious.

I was feeding raspberries/blackberries to my box turtles recently and decided to see if the fish liked them. I have goldfish. I foolishly threw in a whole fruit -- which no one could get in its mouth [duh!]. But when I started squishing them and throwing in the individual bite-size pieces, they ate and [apparently] liked them -- but did reach a limit, AND some didn't like them, so I guess they can have preferences.

I've tried dried mealworms [no way!], live mealworms [yes!], small earthworms [yes! after they figure it out], slugs that I find on the pond rocks [yes], cooked peas [yes], larvae from the water lilies [yes!], bananas [yes, but they tend to sink before consumed], grubs [yes, but only if small enough to fit in mouth] -- and there might be a few others that I'm not recalling... Oh, and mosquito larvae [yes!].

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying different foods out on my fish, with not much success. So far I have tried oranges, water melon, banana, grapes, prawns, lettuce & cucumber all these foods they haven't touched. They have eaten brown bread, worms, dried shrimps, meal worms & sweetcorn, they go mad for frozen blood worms.
I know Dave 54 put a list of alternative foods to try that gave me the ldea to try other foods with not much success
On a separate note ive noticed my fish jumping a lot more lately my water temp is around 16 - 19 degrees and my water tests are ok any ideas why ????

Jumping may indicate parasites willo are they flashing and rubbing against the sides of the pond ?
If so this may indicate triconena it may be an idea to get a scrape done asap
Willo when you gave them the orage diid you run a knife through the different segments so that your fish could get to grips with it .
We normally leave them floating for the afternoon the end results two empty orage halves .
because its the first time for them it simply may mean they just dont equate that its food to them you could try adding garlic to the mix that normally gets them going .

Dave

Reaction score
Hi Dave
Not seen them flashing or rubbing........but i have found my golden orfe, 'felix' dead, he had forced himself into a fold in the liner wether he got stuck or just died i dont know, he was the only fish in the pond when we moved into the house 3yrs ago so dont know how old he was. Think he's been there for a bit judging by the smell,( ive been on a course with work all week) he weighed just over 3lb. He was ok and eating no problem on sunday. Other fish seem ok eating normal and water tests are ok.

Attachments

• 20150626_164421.jpg
    20150626_164421.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 162
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Willo from what I know of our old Orfe he used to dart at the surface then away again whilst eating and like koi they are powerful fish , I'm wondering if hes been doing this and hes got stuck in the fold and couldnt free himself perhaps .
Apart from the fact its he's dead he looked to be a prize specimin on a par with our own orfe who we gave away to a garden centre lake owner along with a number of our koi last year .

Dave

Reaction score
Willo from what I know of our old Orfe he used to dart at the surface then away again whilst eating and like koi they are powerful fish , I'm wondering if hes been doing this and hes got stuck in the fold and couldnt free himself perhaps .
Apart from the fact its he's dead he looked to be a prize specimin on a par with our own orfe who we gave away to a garden centre lake owner along with a number of our koi last year .

Dave
Ye that sounds like felix he ate everything in sight before any other fish could get near. Ive fed the fish early this morning and there as hungry as ever so hopefully everything's ok, perhaps he was just old ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ye that sounds like felix he ate everything in sight before any other fish could get near. Ive fed the fish early this morning and there as hungry as ever so hopefully everything's ok, perhaps he was just old ??
We had ours for 5 years before we gave it away Willo so I dont know how long their life span is ?

Dave

Ask a Question