Getting closer....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Lilies sure are expensive aren't they! The pink one I got from a nursury too, and it was $24, that's the going price around here. The one from Menards and the ones at Lowe's too are all $9.99, much better deal if like you said you get one that grows! I'll be sure to share what he tells me about planting the lilies when I go over there Sunday.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They sell them on e-bay and some of them include free shipping for a lot less my neighbor got hers there .The tubers were 3.95 and she got 3 and free shipping and they are growing really nice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think lilys are very hardy, and wherever you get them they will grow, unless the tuber has dried out. Jen, watch Menards this coming week for them to possibly go on sale. I'll post when I see them on sale. Last year I know it was probably at least in late June when they were on sale. Someone else was buying them and said they had bought one full price, and it grew so well, they were coming back for another, and they had little preformed pond. So, I got I think 5. They still have lots of the dark red ones, so I'm hoping they go on sale soon, as I'd like to pick up just one more of the red ones. I have 3 blooming this morning, and they are pretty dark pink, so I'm happy about that, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It does seem to be growing fast already! I worked a wedding all day today, but whenever I get home I always go check on everything with my little phone flashlight....The curled up leaves are open on it now and are a little closer to the surface, from this morning evening. It was a hot one today I think around 88, so that probably helps!! Yes, do let us know if you see them on sale at yours. I may get another one too. Not sure what color, I wish I knew what color flowers my first one will have. I just want to be careful not to get to many.....

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd be REALLY leary about buying cheap tubers; anyone can dredge up a ton of them from the local marsh.......! Always check them for small tunnels made by grubs, very common in wild plants, and can demolish your lily population.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a tuber I got out of a lake last fall that I planted in my pond. I never thought to check for grubs, but must not have had any, as it's growing well as are my other lilies. Thanks for the warning, though, John.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I got a couple new plants today from my friend's dad. I got what he called a mini cattail, some arrowhead, and some thing thick, lowgrowing plant with little blue flowers. He has some more dividing and stuff to do and when he gets that done he said I could have some variegated grass, umbrella palm, and another tropical that I thought looked like a small version of taro. I also got everything planted in the pond. I decided to go without pots and see how this works out for me. I think with the way we designed our plant shelf I should be able to keep these plants pretty easily contained on the shelf. because of the exposed liner on the sides below the shelf, if they start trying to get to the bottom it should be pretty easy to get in there and cut it out. But my pots seem to be the source of my latest problem.....string algae. So out they went. Must have had some on the pots still when I moved them in.

I also decided to go ahead and plant my lilies into the rocks on my pond bottom. The new lily from Menards though I repotted for now in an oil pan until it gets larger. And that way I can move it around before deciding it's permanent place. His lilies had tons of gorgeous blooms on them, and he has no way of fertilizing them. TONS of blooms. I bet there were at least 5 open blooms and another 4-5 buds sticking out of the water, and the lilly probably took up around a 5-8 sq ft area! It had really big leaves, like a salad plate!! Now, when he built his pond he planned for his lilies at the bottom and dug holes in the pond bottom before covering with liner to essentially create a pot effect for the lilies in the pond. Wish I would have thought of that!!! But, they must grow out to some extent because he doesn't pull them out and divide them, and they look awesome.

Also our underground fence for the dogs came yesterday and hubby spent today installing it. Worked like a charm to with the dogs when he was done! They're already familiar with that sort of training. Sebastian of course had to test it, but eventually turned around. Sadie (the springer) as soon as the first tone warning sounded she was sitting by the door. When knew she'd be easy though. Sebastian is stubborn. I have some cleaning up to do and also 2 strawberry plants to plant (yummy) and then I'll add some more pics. Then I am for real going to stop it and just let everything grow ;)

Well, except for this lovely string algae problem. Don't know what to do about that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, sounds great, the new plants from your neighbor. Always more fun to share plants than to buy them anyday! Can't wait to see more pics. I've decided enough for buying and planting, time to enjoy what I've done, and wait for fall sales to plant more perennials in the new areas, but no hurry. Enjoying the pretty ponds we built is our treat to ourselves! Enjoy!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here are the finished (for now) pics, and a couple of the quickly growing koi! Patio is clean, the redneck fence is gone and everything is planted! The one with blue flowers is the one that I don't know what it is, maybe you guys do?

Attachments

• DSC04996.JPG
    DSC04996.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC05005.JPG
    DSC05005.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC05008.JPG
    DSC05008.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC05010.JPG
    DSC05010.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC05012.JPG
    DSC05012.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 229

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice pix Jen and water is nice and clear and pretty fish. The yellow koi has a nice black circle around his eye. I like how your bog is above your stream! Forgetmenots for sure and I love mine. Just have to watch where they send their seeds. Mine are just around the pond and can do whatever they like there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I did find one in my other flower bed and I had pulled it out of there and put it near the pond. It had spent lots of seeds in the old place and was easy to pull but there were a lot of starts! I think there will be more still waiting to come up so will have to do it again. They sure are pretty little flowers tho!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Forget-me-nots, I wondered if that might be what they are. They were definitely taking over his waterfall before he pulled those big chunks out for me. But it looked easy enough while he was doing it, to just pull out what you don't want. I do think they are really pretty. He said they dont grow well out of the pond though, die off in the summer when it gets hot and no rain....

The yellow Koi is Frank (or I'm suspecting Frankie) The white one is Carla, and the black/white one is still without a name. Hubby named the yellow, Alex named the white, and my daughter wants to name the last one but hasn't come up with anything that doesn't sound like it didn't come from a japanese anime comic book. no thanks.

Was thinking of getting some calla lily's for the pond too. Those of you that have some do they bloom all spring/summer long?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is looking GREAT Jen!!! You really have done an amazing job. I love the way the bog drops into the small stream and into the pond. I think my favorite thing about this pond forum is seeing everyone's creativity come to life. Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Ask a Question