Getting closer....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! I hope it does well planted too! Weigela's are so showy, and pretty, I think there's one in everyother yard in my neighborhood. I don't mind if the vine covers my whole 300 foot fence in time, just as long as I can keep it by the fence, and it doesn't kill anything else I've planted. My parents said that it looked dead and woody, but I know the branches are very woody, so I am really hoping it's ok, and recovers from being transported.

CE i like the contrast of the red and green on your weigela, I bet that one really draws in the hummingbirds!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good luck with the vines, Jenn. My experience with plants from Ebay is that the sellers know how to send them, so I'd bet they are totally dormant and will grow. I did get 4 lotus tubers, 2 of them died, and asked the seller if I was doing something wrong, as I didn't want the other two to die, plus one of the dead ones was my favorite ... and she is sending me two more! Should have them today. That's the good part about Ebay! I don't remember, but if your parents bought them off of Ebay, wait to do feedback until you find out if they grow or not. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks! I hope it does well planted too! Weigela's are so showy, and pretty, I think there's one in everyother yard in my neighborhood. I don't mind if the vine covers my whole 300 foot fence in time, just as long as I can keep it by the fence, and it doesn't kill anything else I've planted. My parents said that it looked dead and woody, but I know the branches are very woody, so I am really hoping it's ok, and recovers from being transported.

CE i like the contrast of the red and green on your weigela, I bet that one really draws in the hummingbirds!!

Jen the trumpet vine will grow off just stems stuck in the dirt, I did buy some, a buck a piece, put on our back fence. Then read about the invasiveness, the back fence is near our septic field. Anyways the plants came as dead looking sticks, no roots, they all grew. But I yanked them out. Don't want to mess up our septic field.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't think it was Ebay, I think they came across some sort of advertisement, and being that my parents yard is an ode to hummingbirds and they watch them constantly they got sucked right in. I think they got 4 plants total. One coming to me. Addy, based on my parents description it sounds like theirs came like yours did. How long before you saw some growth?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As soon as it warmed up, mayish........I left one alone way in the back yard, near the woods. Far from the septic field. I put them in the ground in the fall, just little sticks / parts of roots, no clue, looked like dead sticks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, my parents gave me the trumpet vine sticks (literally, dried up sticks) this weekend. Haven't planted them yet. I'm just not sure what to do with them. The more I read about them the more I'm worried it's going to take over my whole property like some crazy sh*t out of Jumanji! But on the other hand I really, really like how pretty they are! Ughh!

My water lily sent up another bloom yesterday. This one has deeper colors then the first. Funny this one doesn't open it's bloom till mid-afternoon and then closes them back up early evening. It sure isn't open for very long. I liked the coloring on this bloom even more then the first though! Its also has to more buds coming up too, but only a few inches from the crown of the plant.

I also stopped at Menards this morning and picked up a drop and grow lily. Says on the box it is almost black, the pic is gorgeous! I hope it grows, I didn't loer it all the way to the bottom yet, only about 12" or so deep right now till it starts growing. It had a few leaves starting and even what looks like a couple buds too. But I bought one last year, and it never grew. Here are some pics of both lilies....

Attachments

• DSC04952.JPG
    DSC04952.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC04953.JPG
    DSC04953.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC04954.JPG
    DSC04954.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC04956.JPG
    DSC04956.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC04958.JPG
    DSC04958.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Jen, the trick with buying them from Menards is to get them early enough. I bought some last year, when they were on sale half off (which they should be going on sale soon, I would guess, so watch for that!) and all of mine grew EXCEPT the deep burgandy one, which was the one I really wanted the most. BUT, if they have growth, they WILL grow! The problem is that people peek inside to see if they have growth, then don't close up the bag, and it needs to stay moist, so they get dried out and die. Stupid people. LOL But, yours looks very nice and will grow for sure. I would suggest that you put it in a larger pot right off the bat, though. This spring, my pots that they came in were split and tubers were growing out the top and the sides and everywhere else. It makes it harder to get them out of the pot later. Just a thought. I took a 3.5 gal bucket, cut off the bottom about 5" high, put cat litter (regular clay, unscented, NOT the scoopable type be sure!) and popped the tubers into that. Put some bigger rocks around it to keep the koi from digging, then go ahead and put it down where you want it. I put mine in those little pots at about 18" an they did fine. If you are putting them 3', then do it slower, though. Good luck! I'll be VERY jealous if you get a really deep red like the pic! I'm watching for them to go on sale (maybe Memorial Day weekend ...) and going to try to get a good red one then. Otherwise, I have plenty of lilys. LOL
Oh almost forgot, your pink lily is really beautiful! Looks almost like a double, so many petals. Gorgeous!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for the info CE, I was wondering about that tiny little pot it came in, doesn't seem like it could do much growing in that little thing. How long before the once you got started to actually grow? It looks like it has 3 buds on it right now, and I'm wondering if those will just die or if they will make it to the surface and flower! Oh I hope it turns out like the picture! I heard that you don't always get what's on the box!

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Finally something growing and looking pretty after all the work I've done!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You can put it in any shallow wide pan, BTW, I just have all these free 3.5 gal buckets and found they work perfectly to repot the lilies.

The only way you didn't get what's on the box is if someone switched the bags it was in, so I would guess you have the dark red! Mine didn't grow, I took a chance as it looked pretty dead, and it was. They will grow and bloom very soon! Put it in a larger pot and put a couple fertilizer tabs in it (or one, if they are big tablets) and watch it grow! All those parts will stay alive, they won't die, so you picked well! We are all anxious to see your new pretty flower!!! Lucky you. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my lilies only have leaves yet no flowers or buds yet .I went over to the peoples I house i gave the liner and lotus too but they are still away and really wanted to get one of the lotus for my pond that they were holding for me but don't want to do it when they are not home .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeaa!! I can't wait to see them make it to the surface! They looked like they were standing up a little straighter today.... I'm still trying to decide whether or not to plant them in pots or my pond bottom. Going to a friend of a friend who has and installs ponds to get some marginals. He has his lilies planted in his pond with no pots, so I figure I'll ask him everything I can about planting it that way and then make my mind up on Sunday and get it all done. I've been trying to figure out if there is a way I can still use the osmocote and plant that way to encourage more blooms.

My little lily from last year, still doesn't appear to have a single bloom starting. Tons of leaves now, think I counted 11 or so. They're still small leaves but each new one is a little bigger then the last. I swear I'm beginning to think that one will never bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Jen, the lilies I got from a friend are all leaves so far, too. They will bloom, just going to take them a little longer if they are younger. The one you got from Menards, if like mine last year, it WILL bloom this year. All of mine did. I felt they were the best bargain on pond plants, since I paid something like $20 for a larger lily from landscape place that didn't bloom any more per plant than the ones from Menards. And, this year, I had probably at least 3 tubers if not 4 from each one from last year, so they will multiply fast! Good luck deciding on how to get your lilies a permanent home in your pond. Will be interested to hear how your friend says would be best.

Ask a Question