j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear Gloria is now as good as new. Be careful and I'll be praying you have a safe trip. Pictures would be great to see of your travels. Those narrow steep cliff roads really freak me out when we travel.

Reaction score
Well it was an interesting 2 days. I'm really glad we took this exploratory trip before dragging the trailer here. The road that I know well just abruptly ended. Mexico has good freeways, but they just don't post detour signs. South of Tulum there was construction so there were a lot of barriers on our left. We took the sweeping spur exit toward Chetumal and the road had gravel piled on it blocking it with no warning. I had the 4 X 8 foot bed extender on the back so turning the truck around was a challenge. Had we been towing the trailer, I would have been screwed. We backtracked and found our way to the highway via a steep dirt ramp.

Back on the road, we approached the first military checkpoint. They usually open large cases but this guy really wanted a promotion. He removed and opened every bag, every compartment. Gloria had the smoke in her purse as they never ask to see in a purse. He said, "Open your purse", both our hearts skipped a beat as she removed items from her purse, He opened and looked in her eyeglass case and missed the cigarette pack at the bottom, thank God. At the next police checkpoint, we again were asked for ID and the truck was given the eye. There was another extra checkpoint, four in all and this was unusual. Yesterday we found out why.

We left the hotel at 7:00, filled up with gas and were on our way. Just outside of Villahermosa, the traffic was stopped. It really began backing up.

DSCF4633_zpsjyvztrlq.jpg

A police car came up and announced on the speaker that protesters had blocked the freeway and it would stay blocked until noon. This was a nationwide coordination, Mexico is ripe for a revolution. With abundant natural resources and a booming tourism industry, Mexico should have a vibrant economy, but due to government corruption, the average pay here is 65 pesos a day, about $6.00 a day. There were plenty of police with automatic weapons, but they were told to stand down.

DSCF4634_zpsosxfxgp4.jpg

After three hours, Gloria had enough. We walked up to the crowd and she shouted at them that they should be blocking the roads to the government offices and governors mansions. That if they were for the working class, they were blocking the working class from going to work to earn a living. A few in the crowd jeered at her to which she replied, "Chinga tu madre!" or "F*ck your mother!" for any who spoke English, she added "F*ck You!" and shot them all the finger.

We arrived just at dark and will be walking the land today.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i guess with all the Americans sneaking across the boarder, they got to check thing out good

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It never fails Bullfrog.............wherever you seem to go there is some kind of action going on. You have quite the feisty woman to say the least! Glad you both made it safely home. So now do you have a good plan to get the trailer there or do you have to rethink it all again?

Reaction score
We found the easy route in, avoiding the city. The average American would have a heart attack driving the cities in Mexico. A stop sign is merely a suggestion, no passing is laughed at. The streets are very narrow and double parking is normal. Drivers here are very "opportunistic" to put it nicely, they will cut you off in a split second.

There is an exit from the highway that leads straight to it. Sure, the road turns to dirt but it is not bad. The hill is not the bear that I remember but is noteworthy. Mexico has a very cheap and effective way of slowing you down as you come to populated areas, a "tope" (toe pay) is a huge speed bump that will tear your suspension off if you don't slow down almost to a stop.Sugar cane is the principal crop here so you can spot the topes well in advance by the sugar cane laying in the road that falls off of the trucks.

The septic tank is in, the electricity is being done right, actually tied into a transformer 300 meters down the road. The well is not done as he wanted to be sure of the location. We have a large water storage tank on the trailer so this is not a problem. The land is as beautiful as we remember it.We can see Mount Orizaba from our yard and the front porch will face it.

Now to go back, finish packing and drag the trailer here.

Reaction score
This is a Mulatto Tree or a "Gringo Tree" because the bark is always red and peeling..

DSCF4665_zpsemrlkiup.jpg

Gloria's new rubber boots, she is so easy to please..

DSCF4654_zpsahuxw3z6.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like it is a go and all is working out just fine so far. Love your land and views! That mountain is beautiful! Can't wait to see more and do be very safe and may God be w/you both. I will be praying :)

Love your new boots Gloria :D

Reaction score
We went to the land with our contractor, Gloria showed Ulysis exactly where she wants the house.

DSCF4675_zpsztvxtmmm.jpg

Our neighbor Joaquin came by with his oxen team. He stopped to meet us and they just kept walking home. He will use these to plow our land. He has lived here all of his life and knows how to work the land.

DSCF4682_zpstvvue1ja.jpg

Coffee growing at our entrance.

DSCF4684_zpsp3otuwv8.jpg

Bananas also at the entrance of our land. We will never be hungry.

DSCF4690_zpstjjxzutd.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How cool is that! I'm not a coffee drinker but if you are and want to go to the trouble of making your own from beans I guess you could. Banana's right outside your door is great! Do we get to watch the house being built I hope?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
This is a Mulatto Tree or a "Gringo Tree" because the bark is always red and peeling..

DSCF4665_zpsemrlkiup.jpg

Gloria's new rubber boots, she is so easy to please..

DSCF4654_zpsahuxw3z6.jpg

That tree looks like women in a weird way kinda

Ask a Question