Getting ready to pull out

Reaction score
May God be with you and guide you every inch of the way. When you arrive safely to your mountain home you may find that your eyes are bigger from your dramatic drive

Make sure to let us know when you get there safely. How long did you say the drive should take?

Two days JW, there is a good stopping point at 442 miles, a store (coffee!), bathrooms and gas station. You are allowed to park overnight at any Pemex station. This should leave 8 hours the next day.

I'd rather not put Gloria through this and she says she will take a plane. But I know Gloria, she would be worried to death so it will be no shower for two days and sleeping in the trailer with no power.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm sure glad you have this all planned out so well and know where everything is and that there is a nice safe spot to stop for the night.
You guys will be fine and don't take anything w/you that will get you in trouble no matter how good you think that hiding spot is. So Gloria will be driving w/you then? Is the steep part the first part of the drive or is it in the last 8 hours? No big deal on the showers or power. Just pretend you are tent camping. Oh boy just keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on that road. I hope you have good brakes. God will be there to protect you and I will be praying hard for you both!

Reaction score
I'm sure glad you have this all planned out so well and know where everything is and that there is a nice safe spot to stop for the night.
You guys will be fine and don't take anything w/you that will get you in trouble no matter how good you think that hiding spot is. So Gloria will be driving w/you then? Is the steep part the first part of the drive or is it in the last 8 hours? No big deal on the showers or power. Just pretend you are tent camping. Oh boy just keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on that road. I hope you have good brakes. God will be there to protect you and I will be praying hard for you both!

Gloria has decided to fly. Hopefully I'll have the porch and bathroom well under way by the time she gets there. The steep grade is about 30 minutes into the trip. We will go there tomorrow to explore the alternate route through the city. Detour signs would be nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good luck Bullfrog keep us updated about the journy your build etc

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep keep us posted so we know you are safe and made it to your new home.

Reaction score
Yep keep us posted so we know you are safe and made it to your new home.

Not trying to over dramatize this, but driving alone through Mexico is risky business. I get a comfort knowing Gloria is with me, she charms our way through the police and military checkpoints. Still, if I encounter bandidos I'd rather her not be with me. It will take two days to drive there, then I'll have to establish the phone and internet ASAP so I can call her and tell her everything is alright. I hope to leave Friday and if you haven't heard from me in say 10-14 days you can assume that something has happened and I went to the light.

I feel I have made a few friends here and I've known JW for years. I can honestly say that I love her in a really good, wholesome way. This reminds me of my first novel when the band of pirates are sitting around a fire preparing to infiltrate the king's castle to retrieve their kidnapped son. Batu, the former slave looks around at them and says, "What we are about to do is very dangerous. Some, or all of us may not survive this. If I die, I do not want to go to my grave without having said that I would have never known the joy of freedom or of being a father had it not been for you."

Felipe looked at him and said, "And it has been an honor to live and fight by your side. We are in this to the death." He drew his sword and raised the tip, "To the death." they all repeated and clicked their swords together.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sheesh I am scared for you Bullfrog. Gloria must be worried to death. Wish you could hire one of your friends to travel w/you. I hate the thought of anything happening to you. I would miss you dearly. You can't even carry a gun there right? What a about a big sharp sword like in your book or two, one in each hand?
I pray you can find a truck or cars that might be going in that same direction so you can follow them. Is it totally deserted the way you have to go or are there other people that drive it regularly? Did you see bandido's on your trips w/Gloria when you were scoping things out? All we can do is pray our hardest that you make it. I consider you a good friend and would sure hate to see you leave this world now when things are going so good and positive for you. Travel safe and pray your way through this whole trip w/o ceasing. May God be with you my friend.

Reaction score
I will be fine. At the demonstration that blocked the highway the police warned us not to take any of the smaller highways because of the bandidos. There are just too many miles to patrol and they know it. Most bandido activity is in the Frontera or "Frontier", the first 200 miles coming into Mexico. I've made the trip twice and both times they tried. If you are foolish enough to stop, they know that Americans hide money in belts, their underwear, etc so they take your vehicle and clothes leaving you naked. I will not stop.

We drove the construction sight yesterday and found a good, solid route through town that avoids the dirt grade. I have made the virtual drive on Google Maps several times now approaching the land and I'm comfortable with the route. I'm actually excited and ready to get to our land. We should cut off the internet today so we won't be billed another month so this is goodbye for now.

"The Eagle is on the pad and cleared for launch.

Commencing countdown.. Five..four..three..two..one..ignition... main engine start.

Eagle has cleared the pad...

Eagle is nine nautical miles downstream, all systems go for throttle up. Godspeed Eagle"..

"Received Houston, go for throttle up.. initiating roll sequence."

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't stop no matter what. Go w/God and let us know when you arrive. Talk to you soon Bullfrog. It's not goodbye it's see ya later :)

Reaction score
Well that was a false start. We emptied the storage and had it all on the cargo carrier behind the truck. Then the rain set in.
When I got here, the electric jack on the front of the trailer crapped out. By the time we got all of the furniture inside, I was too tired to go on. Today I jacked up the trailer and removed the electric jack, backed the trailer along the fence and am loading today. I'll wait for help to load the washer, then add the cargo carrier. It looks like I'll pull out Saturday as I still have a lot to load and I have to go get the kayaks. Gloria left the internet on until I leave so I'll keep you posted.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well darn! Don't rush and make sure all is secure. You sure don't want to have to stop out there somewhere on some secluded road to have to fix anything. Take care and drive carefully and let us know what's going on and exactly when you leave. I'll be praying for you.

Reaction score
We got the trailer pretty well loaded and the cargo carrier attached. Still a lot to do today loading the things here and I still have to go get the kayaks. Hope to still make this self imposed deadline and leave tomorrow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We shall hope to hear good things from you when you safely arrive to your new home.

Ask a Question