Giant !@#$%^& heron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, I purchased a PondMax filter (with a UV light) and sure enough, my water is more clear every day. Today I received proof of concept when I awoke to find a giant heron standing over my pond, and no fish. Zero. They were just goldfish but I had become very fond of them.

Does netting work for heron? Seems like they could get through or around that. A pack of pit bulls sounds like a decent option this morning...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think most people find netting is the ONLY thing that reliably works, especially once your pond has been discovered.

Sorry about your fish...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fought the heron for 2 years, fishing line, fencing, etc. Finally bought a 5 inch wide weave gill fishing net, hung it high over the pond, around 3-4 feet with is slightly draping down. The heron has not been back since. They fly over our house every morning and night, and just keep going.

With the netting being a wide weave, no little birds, frogs etc get caught in it, and with it hung up high, the pond is easy to net and work on if I want to. Easy to move out of the way. I don't find it eye obtrusive.

You can see the weave of the net, the rope is woven into the net to give me something to pull it tight and give it shape.

waiting for winter.JPG
net.JPG

Ask a Question