Giving my excess fish away

Reaction score
I now have about 75 goldfish in my 2300 gal pond so I need to find homes for about 30 or 40 of them. I advertised in the paper (free to a good home) any my phone is ringing off the wall. I never realized how many ponds there are in the area. Anyway, one of them has a real nice Natural Pond that is fed by an overflow of their artisian well and the water temp stays around 45 deg and never freezes over.
I know that we stop feeding when the water temp gets below 50deg and don't start again until it gets back up to 50 deg. How would the goldfish do in a Natural Pond with that constant 45 deg water. Would they not feed them any fish food and could they survive with that set up?

Attachments

• Natural Pond.jpg
    Natural Pond.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Natural Pond 2.jpg
    Natural Pond 2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 271

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Don't put golfish in that pond. Trout would do well, but goldfish will eventually starve. They just don't function at that temperature. We have a spring-fed creek running behind our property, and a neighbour tried keeping goldfish in a pond fed by this creek, so I know what the results will be! BTW, the creek runs around 38 to 40F all year, and the pond was around 45 in the summer.
John

Reaction score
Thanks HARO for the reply. I sent your response on to the person with the Natural Pond and she responded with the following:

All I know is that i've had Goldfish before in this pond & they died of old age. I have had lots of fish tanks. 60 gal Saltwater & 45 gal fresh.. Honestly Goldfish are bottom dwellers/cleaners, so the pond is actually ideal for them & don't like the water too hot...also i have had people give me theres when they closed up their backyard ponds for the winter & they survived all winter by hiding on the sand bottom.Fish don't live forever, but If you don't want to give me some that's fine.
Let me know either way.
Thank you,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I would like to hear from a few others familiar with this situation. Thanks a lot..

Ask a Question