Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My biggest issue is from the original plan I have added a rain water collection tank. The pipe is in place but I still have to set and install the 1500 gallon tank. the problem is the main drain i'd like the main drain to drain into the collection tank but in doing so the tank is lower then the water level of the pond. Thus the water will siphon into the tank, if I ever loose power it will be a disaster. I was thinking a bog with one side lower then the other that would allow only so much of the pond to drain let it over flow sorta speak and then let gravity in the form of a stream fall into the collection tank like it was a pondless waterfall. This is where aquablox would be beneficial but the cost is much more then if a septic tank was used. The aquablox alone are more then the tank. And I still need to get rubber underlayment and stone for an aquablox set up. That would require the collection tank be placed a minimum of 2 feet below grade

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From all the videos I have watched the larger ponds and or larger rocks have extra underlayment folded up and placed under the boulders before they are set on the liner. The plan is to turn the water over once an hour I have in place a performance pro 120 that puts out 12,000 gph

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used extra liner under the larger rocks I put in pond also. There are a couple that I wanted to stick out of the surface a little. As far as dogs, I never had a issue with their feet. Our largest was a golden retriever. Mine are always walking in the stream. They tend to stay out of the pond except for when I go in it :)

The pond is not a issue at all for their paws, just have a area they can get easily out on the rocks. This will assist you also getting out when needed. That liner does get slippery.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only had ground hogs, herons and snakes swim in mine, besides fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20180406_185621.jpg
20180406_185626.jpg
20180405_191604[18003].jpg
Some more moss and a tree stump. Well it's better at this point to bring home a little moss then 5 ton of rock I'M OUT OF ROOM.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used extra liner under the larger rocks I put in pond also. There are a couple that I wanted to stick out of the surface a little. As far as dogs, I never had a issue with their feet. Our largest was a golden retriever. Mine are always walking in the stream. They tend to stay out of the pond except for when I go in it :)

The pond is not a issue at all for their paws, just have a area they can get easily out on the rocks. This will assist you also getting out when needed. That liner does get slippery.

I know my dogs , myself and my LUCK I'd rather a little insurance. Yes I know THE SECOND LAYER OF UNDERLAYMENT may be detrimental to the overall plan but with a 2" pipe bog 36 sf of surface area @7% of the pond and a centipede bog @80 sf surface area that puts me at 46 % of the surface area and with 2 settlement tank areas one being in the rain water containment area and the other in the bottom of the bog. I am pretty confident the design should be optimum but it may take a couple years to cycle. One way to give it a boost is to load up the fish we will see. The one thing I found having a planted tank was I never found a point where there was too much filtration. But I do see that the bog may grow slowly if theres too much mechanical stripping of waste. i'm not removing the solids " not now any ways just keeping them from clogging the bog .

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my gosh! I just love all the stuff you are finding for your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't get to know Meyer but I miss his comments. I have never built a fish pond\, Natural bog, streams water falls , a pool. rain water collection. I'm flying by the seat of my pants hoping this all works. Lisa has a similar concern about the second underlayment but there's very little debate here. Have I gone too far, mixed and matched too much for comments? Is there another forum here better suited for a build? Is there an other site with gear heads per say who build there own ponds I don't know I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed even though I found one sweet tree stump today. Need to finish up the nuts and bolts and start in on the decorating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my gosh! I just love all the stuff you are finding for your pond.

Thanks CAS it's going to all be worth it when it's done in 2022. if i'm lucky

My head is on a pivot everywhere I go these days my mind is on over drive putting this pond together in my mind.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lisa has a similar concern about the second underlayment but there's very little debate here.
I had a second underlayment in my Arizona pond. I used some huge boulders lining the stream entrance heading into the pond and out on the bottom. Not totally covered but partially.
Never had a real issue with it, it did get muck covered. Some algae loved to grow there.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Gbbudd, with your filtration design you should be fine with the extra underlayment. I agree with you on putting something under the large granite boulders, so they don't sit directly on the liner. So at the very least I would put pieces of underlayment under the larger rocks, as addy did.

While if placed carefully they won't do anything to the liner but a little shifting here and there could abrade the liner (it doesn't take much). I have a couple large rocks in my ponds large is relative 200-500lbs, one was flat underneath so I didn't put anything under it. The other ones I put a piece of underlayment under them to create a pad. Also, built a 3' wide x 16' long bridge over the pond, and poured a concrete footer on top of the liner for the support posts to sit on, which I have seen some do that as well for large accent rocks in their ponds.

I build stone revetments, living shorelines, wetlands restoration etc. in and around the Chesapeake Bay. Large granite is pretty abrasive with sharp edges here and there, so from experience building these structures with rock varying from small 1lb. rock up to 3000lb. rock. It does occasionally cut through/ abrade the filter fabric when setting the rock, especially if the rock slides or I have to slide it into place with an excavator.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Jhn Will the underlayment just break down in the pond over time, I think doubling or tripling the liner with pieces of liner would be a better way to go vs underlayment? Not sure if it will or not but the underlayment I used seems like it could breakdown but no facts to back that up.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn Will the underlayment just break down in the pond over time, I think doubling or tripling the liner with pieces of liner would be a better way to go vs underlayment? Not sure if it will or not but the underlayment I used seems like it could breakdown but no facts to back that up.

I’ve seen pond underlayment/filtercloth albeit a little thicker behind retaining wall/ bulkheads on waterfront exposures. The cloth as long is it isn’t exposed to the sun has been behind the wall and intact 50 years later in some cases.

The extra liner pieces would be another option, as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I’ve seen pond underlayment/filtercloth albeit a little thicker behind retaining wall/ bulkheads on waterfront exposures. The cloth as long is it isn’t exposed to the sun has been behind the wall and intact 50 years later in some cases.

The extra liner pieces would be another option, as well.
Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I appreciate the input. The non woven underlayment is in short plastic fibers Polypropylene if I'm not mistaken. We have dug up pieces that had been buried for years and I can assure you it is still competent stuff. The weed barrier that is used in landscaping as it is left exposed to the sun it does break down.

I know it sounds like a lot but by the time I double up under the base of all the walls for the larger boulders granite some shale and cross mixed. and under the river rock all along the bottom theres not much left. the river rock I have been finding in this area I keep seeing rock split in half and I can assure you I could shave with some of it, it is sharp..

Ask a Question