Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Lot of different ways to keep/build ponds. Really it is what gives enjoyment to the owner, is how a pond should be built. DKP, eco-pond, hybrid of the two, whatever works.

Always worth it in the long run, (especially being a contractor) when it is done and you think I dreamed that up then built it myself. When you spend most of your time building things for others.

Like addy, my pond is simple compared to your build, so I can’t speak from a pond building experience vantage point. I came at building my pond from what I do for a living, (marine contractor, do a lot of wetland creations, and restorations.)

I find your build interesting, no doubt will look great as well as functional.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Lot of different ways to keep/build ponds. Really it is what gives enjoyment to the owner, is how a pond should be built. DKP, eco-pond, hybrid of the two, whatever works.

This statement is so true. Enjoyment to the owner isn't limited to the beauty, it includes the mechanics of how you did it. It reflects the mind and heart of the owner. You're doing great. It isn't what I'd do, but who cares, it's all yours.

John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
big push the next few days picking up some more 1"to 2" river rock in mortar bags that hold a ton and a half per bag. The reason for the bag is I plan to use a lull or a construction fork truck to help aid in rocking the pond. The bags will allow me to spread the gravel in the bottom of the pond without a wheel barrel and shovel. Mainly it's going to be for placing the mafia blocks for the bog and some choice large boulders in the pond as it has gotten too wide for an excavator to reach across the pond. Aqua blox are put together the bog is leveled out for the mafia blocks and again they are 6 feet long 3 feet wide and 18" tall and weigh 4000 pounds each. So the idea is by Wednesday this coming week I expect to have 75% of the pond rocked half the water fall set and the bog built. We will see !!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Getting excited My rock addiction is drawing near it's almost time to start creating and the finish work.
Finished up the water fall area as far as I am going to bring it The character stones will be set on Monday as they are at least 2,000 pounds. Due to placing the rubber before I was complete with the construction small stones got under the liner as it was pulled back. So today I had to fold back the rubber and sweep and clean out all the dirt and stones that fell. glad I took it all the way too it's amazing how many tinny stones got by me. The fish cave excavation is complete that and the expanded edge is shown in the first picture where the rubber is pulled back . I plumbed up the return jets Those would have been much easier to have plumbed if I had the flex pipe when I was building the cinder block wall. But they are done I used flex pvc with barbed fittings that I doubled up on using both stainless steel hose clamps and blue pvc cement. And last but by no means least I picked up my order of 1"-2" river rock I didn't want the golden river rock that's very popular here and the standard river is rather boring . What I picked up is shown below but it's going to be a lot of work as it is very poorly washed. The photo is washed but the center of the bag/ ton and a half is not washed at all.
20180504_090138[18539].jpg
20180504_183836[18530].jpg
20180504_185232[18529].jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pretty rock! That's the rock we used in our rain exchange and our pondless. Can't remember the name, (and they call it different things in different places we learned) but it's pretty both wet and dry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's discouraging when your working your a-- off and you look over and man's best friend is definitely enjoying the nice weather and watching you work.
Tuck.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very productive day!!!!!!!! got the plumbing glued up and cut the main drains into the edpm. Even with all the tips you may see on you tube there's usually one where you wish that some one had posted. Such as when you are cutting in the smaller suction drain to place a paper towel across the opening until you get all the screws poked through the rubber and pull out the paper towel at this point before you snug up the screws. Why do is say this well because I dropped one stainless stele screw down the three inch wide pipe and of Corse I had to but the one that had a sweep directly at the bottom and the screw was not able to be seen. So I got to go fishing before a drop of water even got in the pond. A coat hanger and a pair of angle thin nose saved my butt. And I swayed toward caution with all the moving the liner around I decided to see what my pump of 12,000 gph looked like before I stated to build my water fall on Monday photo attached tried to do a video but the site says it's too large. It was a good days seeing the project come alive even if only half of it.
20180505_104745.jpg
main drain .jpg
20180505_194143.jpg
e though it's less then a few seconds long. it was a hell of a surprise getting the pond up and running even if it still needed another couple feet of water.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It's discouraging when your working your a-- off and you look over and man's best friend is definitely enjoying the nice weather and watching you work.View attachment 110258

Haha, mine was napping in the hole while I was digging it.

Coming along, waiting to see what you do rocking the pond in. I’m sure it is going to look nice, with the selection of rock you have to choose from.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you convert it to you tube
Thanks addy
This was one thing that i could not find online . I found only a couple videos showing small volumes' of water up to 5,000. it was a guess as to what i wanted for my pond so here is a post showing 12,000 gph.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have watched many a you tube but never tried to add one
Just create a account and hit the upload button. Find your file and select it. If it is on a phone select share send to your tube account you created.

Ask a Question