Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think, imho, the bog does the best job in helping the pond water. I have zero issues with green water, horrendous algae etc. All I filter with is my bog.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny will grow like ivy, sending runners.

Wish I had made my bog more similar to addy’s running the length of the pond, not just at one end of pond running the width, but didn’t want to take up more yard that way. Mainly, because I like the variety of plants. Either way, like addy I get zero string algae, green water issues.

My pond has built in planters filled with gravel or sand at varying depths. The pond itself is about 38’ long by 16’ wide, one half is 3.5’ deep, gradually comes up to 10” deep or so, in the middle covered in various size river rock, in the middle of this shallow section is a 6’x4’x18” deep planter that is filled with pickerel rush. (Currently about 6” deep) this area divides the pond in half, then slopes back down to 18”-20” deep (for the rest of the pond)this area has a planting shelf about a foot deep and 2’ wide around the perimeter.

The deeper planting beds get to be a pain, as lilies tend to get out of control after about 2 years, same with lotuses. ( 18” x10’x12’) shallow part of my pond is basically a giant lotus planter at this point. Starting to thin out the lotus tubers this spring. The shallow beds are easy to maintain with most marginal plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Water Hyssop (or Bacopa Monnieri) sends out runners and has little lavender colored flowers. I have two in my “bog” and last year they were overflowing the sides like crazy.

B6A9360B-55DA-43E8-BC44-EA4E310D0426.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny will grow like ivy, sending runners.

Wish I had made my bog more similar to addy’s running the length of the pond, not just at one end of pond running the width, but didn’t want to take up more yard that way. Mainly, because I like the variety of plants. Either way, like addy I get zero string algae, green water issues.

My pond has built in planters filled with gravel or sand at varying depths. The pond itself is about 38’ long by 16’ wide, one half is 3.5’ deep, gradually comes up to 10” deep or so, in the middle covered in various size river rock, in the middle of this shallow section is a 6’x4’x18” deep planter that is filled with pickerel rush. (Currently about 6” deep) this area divides the pond in half, then slopes back down to 18”-20” deep (for the rest of the pond)this area has a planting shelf about a foot deep and 2’ wide around the perimeter.

The deeper planting beds get to be a pain, as lilies tend to get out of control after about 2 years, same with lotuses. ( 18” x10’x12’) shallow part of my pond is basically a giant lotus planter at this point. Starting to thin out the lotus tubers this spring. The shallow beds are easy to maintain with most marginal plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That might be the ticket I'm looking for. I am entertaining the idea of actually using ivy as well but I would try to contain it with a planting box of some kind. if it grew up the mafia blocks I'd have no problem with that but ivy can spread like wild fire.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Picked up the last of the materials needed to make the bog . I have brought 3 yards of 3 to 5 river rounds , 3 yards of 2-3 inch river rounds and 3 yards of 3/4" river rounds The bog at this time is going to be 6 feet deep at which point the 24"x10' pipe will be installed horizontally " the centipede" where it will marry up a 24" pipe that will be installed vertically the snorkel and will be capped and secured to keep bugs and people out. The 24" horizontal pipe will then be secured with round granite of misc size to lock it in place to where the Aqua blox will be installed 15 in all . Now between the two the 24" pipe and the aqua blox that should provide a huge settlement area for the sediment to fall to the bottom of the bog. and with the 24" vertical clean out pipe it should be a breeze to clean out when needed. The over all size of the bog is going to be 8' x 12 'x 6' with irregularities/." no straight lines." and I do hope to have some time to try and set some of the smaller shelves with rock/ boulders

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Picked up the last of the materials needed to make the bog . I have brought 3 yards of 3 to 5 river rounds , 3 yards of 2-3 inch river rounds and 3 yards of 3/4" river rounds The bog at this time is going to be 6 feet deep at which point the 24"x10' pipe will be installed horizontally " the centipede" where it will marry up a 24" pipe that will be installed vertically the snorkel and will be capped and secured to keep bugs and people out. The 24" horizontal pipe will then be secured with round granite of misc size to lock it in place to where the Aqua blox will be installed 15 in all . Now between the two the 24" pipe and the aqua blox that should provide a huge settlement area for the sediment to fall to the bottom of the bog. and with the 24" vertical clean out pipe it should be a breeze to clean out when needed. The over all size of the bog is going to be 8' x 12 'x 6' with irregularities/." no straight lines." and I do hope to have some time to try and set some of the smaller shelves with rock/ boulders
A man with a plan (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Settlement area for the Sediment ........ Now say that ten times fast

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20180221_035043[18186].jpg
20171229_100110[18187].jpg
A man with a plan (y)
I only hope that I'm not going to excessive Time will tell I will also have a couple of the 2" pipe drawing water through a couple shelf areas for the plants..

This man should have taken a lesson from your pond and work with what you have and keep it simple . and not had built a retaining wall and not had built cinder block walls inside the pond. your stream and the maturity of your pond works so well you worked the plan and the site. I had to listen to that little creative midget in my head saying ahhh make it bigger deeper and crazier." But that little guy has always made more work for me but the end result has always been well worth it. heres the last project we just finished gave the kitchen a little refresher. And to answer the two questions the wine rack has pure copper wire from a transmission liner upgrade and the picture on the wall behind the stove is not a picture but a stone fossil of an ammalite a 400 million year old fossil that turned to stone

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I only hope that I'm not going to excessive Time will tell I will also have a couple of the 2" pipe drawing water through a couple shelf areas for the plants.
Better to do more then not enough. You have some good size boulders, moving once is a job, never mind twice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
View attachment 109703 View attachment 109704
I only hope that I'm not going to excessive Time will tell I will also have a couple of the 2" pipe drawing water through a couple shelf areas for the plants..

This man should have taken a lesson from your pond and work with what you have and keep it simple . and not had built a retaining wall and not had built cinder block walls inside the pond. your stream and the maturity of your pond works so well you worked the plan and the site. I had to listen to that little creative midget in my head saying ahhh make it bigger deeper and crazier." But that little guy has always made more work for me but the end result has always been well worth it. heres the last project we just finished gave the kitchen a little refresher. And to answer the two questions the wine rack has pure copper wire from a transmission liner upgrade and the picture on the wall behind the stove is not a picture but a stone fossil of an ammalite a 400 million year old fossil that turned to stone
Gorgeous kitchen. I really tried to make my pond look like it was always there, I did want it a little larger but once I dug the hole my wife and I thought it was big enough, now that it is matured a bit, I would go a bit larger. It is roughly 18ft x 26ft, I should have gone 25ft x 35ft which would have been perfect.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love your kitchen. That stone fossil is like WOW!

Like the ghostly figure in the glass cabinet!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20180422_191402[18198].jpg
20180422_191524[18197].jpg
A utterly fantastic day !! just a tad under 70 degrees and the soils had all dried up from our down pours from last week and I was able to get some work done.
Dug out the pit for the bog 11'x 19'
And reshaped the furthest most wall of the pond due to the extra liner
Set the Helix skimmer.

GETTING THERE

Last edited:

Ask a Question