Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Amazing build so far

I'm sure your pond will be epic based on your aquarium

Thanks for the compliment... Unfortunately the aquarium has been taken down Ten years of traveling for business took it's toll ... So what do I do I go and build a pond in my free time........ We will see how it comes out i'm sure i'll be adjusting and tweaking the pond for yeas to come. Besides I think I just built the wrong size from the start I wanted fish, water, waterfall, plants, and Birds all in the aquarium build all in the one set up. Well here's the next set up we have the fish, water, waterfall, plants, and Birds though these birds can kill my fish unlike the finches I had in the planted tank. But it's all a challenge time will tell.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond 5-9-18 (1 of 1).JPG
Got a half day in on the pond Before the ball joint on the rental let go on me . here's todays take.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coming along, like the look of the curved rock on the right side.

Thanks and I have to agree it's a nice piece it came from a 10' diameter casion. With about a 8 foot core barrel cut on the inside. in the 11 years I have drilled a lot of casions and I have never seen such a large piece of rock come out of the hole in one piece and be of competent rock. It took a lot of effort to get it home and in one piece.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After installing all the boulders the last couple of days, often as a one man band .I decided to do a test and fill a portion of the pond with some water to check for leaks, while I still have to equipment to lift them and do something about a potential leak . And low and behold WATER drop I was loosing an inch of water in about 20 minutes. " SPLENDID " well I let the water drain and started brain storming what it might be. What boulders gave me grief and that had not gone so well. My first suspect was the main drain. Though not part of the boulder install it would be the easiest to repair. Wishful thinking ! So it didn't take to long for my second suspect to show it's self and that is my fish cave. I had decided that I would not use a pipe for the cave but actually dig into the earth a cave and cap it with stone, and line the walls with rock . Well two of the walls were a little taller then I liked but I let it go thinking that they were both about three feet long and plenty of surface area that it couldn't possibly cut the liner. Well a few hours latter guess where the draining " leak " seems to have stopped just as the water level got below the fish cave. "THANK YOU " Second easiest place to fix. Not that it's nice and neat in the cave as it's not there's folds on top of folds with the liner. Well that's what I am hoping is the problem. If it is coming from somewhere else it's not going to be fun trying to find it, We will see
20180510_162736[19379].jpg

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am enjoying your build. Hope you find the leak without an overload of stress involved. Love all your pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coming along, like the look of the curved rock on the right side.
I agree too makes for a nice sitting space. GBBUDD this will ne an epic build, one that set the bar for this level of work and detail. I truly appreciate your efforts and commend your build. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hopefully it is the fish cave. Not directly related but this is why I chose to go with allurements inside the liner and not cut the liner for the bottom drain (much less robust) or the piping. This coupled with the fact that the house sits on a hill and a leak could cause a land slide and a 1/4 of my property. All in all though I am loving your build it is super motivating.

Ps ibsee those pics of the 12.5k gph flowing you know you could have done another video lol :). But seriously there is so little documentation on that water flow that if I google anjon monsoon or something related my posts shoe up lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree too makes for a nice sitting space. GBBUDD this will ne an epic build, one that set the bar for this level of work and detail. I truly appreciate your efforts and commend your build. Thank you!

I'm not so sure the neighbors would agree too the epic build. My yard is destroyed. I literally have 1/3 of an acre covered in stone. well it was I have started to make a dent in it all. I meant to borrow a scale that I could have installed on the fork truck so I could have added up the tonnage but I was to gun hoe to get started. I need to beat the heat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Thanks Tilion
This helps me to plan the next steps as well as record what has happened, I have enjoyed this build, no surprise. And I would love to do this for a living. I love creating and being creative search for items and seeing it all come together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Tilion
This helps me to plan the next steps as well as record what has happened, I have enjoyed this build, no surprise. And I would love to do this for a living. I love creating and being creative search for items and seeing it all come together.
Passion its a crazy driver; I truly know that feeling! Its led to some sweet projects though :).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ripped apart the fish cave and not so much as a blemish on the rubber. This is where I want an Imogene throwing a fit ripping my hair out of my head. Just as I was prepping to move a 4200pond boulder that was my second suspect . I thought the ground should be soft where the leak is . And that's when remembered stepping close to an edge and feeling what felt like either soft soil or the edge caving. as I was on the other side of the pond I looked over to the other side and saw what looked like a flap of rubber poking it's head out behind a boulder and the underlayment.. and low and behold !!!!
rip.jpg
I must have nicked the edge of a drop off bring in a boulder in to the bottom of the pond. Regardless of how the pond is filling as I am typing the repair is done and time will tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to see you were able to find it ...that's much more than a little pin hole.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Glad you found it before all your rock had been placed.

Ask a Question