Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by GBBUDD, Dec 28, 2017.

1. GBBUDD

Lisak1

You are a true rock lover - I can tell from your exacting descriptions! Learning to keep driving any time we passed a rock yard was the hardest part of having our pond build done... I LOVE ROCKS!

Lisak1, Jan 22, 2018
    BarbO likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. GBBUDD

JamieB

Pick some of the best looking small rocks to mix in around the boarder. Like smaller than a fist, as I’m sure you’ll find some.

JamieB, Jan 22, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

Trust me Jamie the river rock piles have everything from 400 pound down to fits in the palm of your hand, after loading and digging out all the rock from the spoils piles the little ones are a welcoming change from the back breakers..

Mother nature is by far the best artist I have ever seen !!!!
    The granite counter tops I surprised the MRS with this past fall is among some of that.
    Another load today and stopping at the self serve car wash to hose todays catch sorta speak down to see what we got found some green schist with quartz veins along with a white quartz boulder 1x2x4' very cool peace's with some iron striations. I'm afraid to stop collecting as this rock is not something I can go to the local quarry to get . Its not that it's all that " the rock " I just want the finished product to look like it grew here. all from the same area. Having worked in construction all these years I know if you don't get all you need in the first "order" the second will not match fully the die lots or source locations will differ. So i'd be willing to bet when I am done I will have a pretty good pile left over.

GBBUDD, Jan 23, 2018
  4. GBBUDD

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I love the patterns and colors in rocks!
    We put in granite has the most beautiful pattern, swirls of colors.

addy1, Jan 23, 2018
  5. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

addy with your bog did you lean toward the water a couple inches below the surface or water a cople inches over the gravel. seems to be a debate on this from what I have read so far. I did catch your videos fortunately PHOTBUCKET HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE. hoping they die a slow painful death. They couldn't have started off nice and slow like ten dollars a month like photoshop and light room. Thinking we'll see them on American greed in a year or so. your shubunkins pond is crazy I couldn't get over how many of them you have in there and how clear the water is. I'm actualy leaning toward shinners or similar as I love schooling fish and shinners are like a flock of sand pipers when they all shift together they give off that shine a couple hundred would make a show.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    GBBUDD, Jan 24, 2018
  6. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

I only hope I'm half as successful with this water garden as I was with the Planted fish tank , one of the photos is the imogee I have as my profile photo. if I said that right.

GBBUDD, Jan 24, 2018
  7. GBBUDD

Lisak1

I won't answer for @addy1 but I will tell you that we built our bog so the water was slightly above the level of the gravel. No reason why, really - just a preference in how it looks. We have added gravel several times as things have settled to keep the level where we want it.

Lisak1, Jan 24, 2018
  8. GBBUDD

I did not plan on it one way or the other. It ended up have some of the gravel below water, some of the gravel above water. I did add some bags of gravel after the first year, the gravel did settle. The long wall between the pond and the bog, I thought, would be above the water, but it has ended up being a weep wall, here and there the water weeps over. That worked out to be great, more circulation more filtering, the moss grows great on the wall.
    I do make sure there is a shallow stream like path to get the majority of the water flowing towards the water fall rock.
    I do yank plants out off and on so it does not get totally plant clogged. The plants don't seem to care if their crown is above or below water, they just grow like weeds.

addy1, Jan 24, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  9. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

I said it before and I'll say it again I must have rocks in the head I brought home another 10,000 pounds of rocks again today. I believe its fractured granite with Iron veins. some of the pieces are 3.5 feet tall that have a semi circle edge on one side, i'm thinking these might make for an interesting succession of steps leading into the pond. but I't may be to formal. I better start this project soon " if the weather gives me a break" before I'm swimming in rocks.

Instead of spending crazy asking prices for a plastic tub with more plastic shaving or Plastic bio balls at the main water fall to diffuse the waters flow. I think I'm going to just make a small pond one that will allow the water to flow evenly over the edge this should also allow for some plants to help break up the volcano look. Supplies are rolling in Pond foam, gun, Lap cement, tpk bushing's, Helix skimmer and Rhino bottom drain have arrived. Also found some drift wood along a rivers edge that will make for a natural look. Though one piece is hard to believe even is. Like I said in a quote above mother nature is the best artists I know well here is one such example. I know wood rather well after being a carpenter for 25 years and I have a hard time putting this drift wood together in a tree.

Attached Files:

GBBUDD, Jan 26, 2018
    sissy and j.w like this.
  10. GBBUDD

JamieB

That piece looks like the skeleton of some strange Dino. A head like some kind of pterodactyl, a rib cage, a hint of legs...

JamieB, Jan 26, 2018
  11. GBBUDD

Lisak1

That's a cool piece of wood!

Lisak1, Jan 26, 2018
  12. GBBUDD

Love that piece of wood! I have some favorite pieces sitting on shelves in the house, small ones, but still darn neat.

addy1, Jan 26, 2018
  13. GBBUDD

j.w I Love my Goldies

One can never have enough rocks and neat driftwood!

j.w, Jan 26, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  14. GBBUDD

Jhn

Cool looking piece of driftwood. I keep an eye out for pieces around my worksites. I have found a few neat ones over the years that I added to the ponds for turtles to bask on.

Jhn, Jan 27, 2018
  15. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

After feeling guilty not working on the pond in any way I went for a walk along the river again to see what else I could find. It was no fun dragging this thing out not because of weight but because of the size and I didn't want to break off any of the branches. This tree grew along the side of the river but died probably from the salt water as it is a tidal area and the wood is definitely salted. It's new home is going to be at the edge of the pond hanging over for birds to perch. Not sure if I mentioned this before but I plan on working with nature and not try to work against it. What I plan on doing is getting a couple hundred shiners or similar, I love watching fish school. If anyone has any suggestions i'd love to here what fish you'd choose. but I has to be able to withstand winter in new England.
    If a blue heron or a king fisher want to stop by and have a snack why not. I plan on making plenty of places for the fish to hide so it's not going to be a free meal and having two dogs I don't think the predators will consider this to be the easiest spot in the neighborhood to get a meal as there is a pond across the street.

Attached Files:

GBBUDD, Jan 27, 2018
    sissy likes this.
  16. GBBUDD

Jhn

Like the idea of a large school of shiners. I have one of my ponds stocked with native minnows (shiners, chubs, darters, and dace) that I got out of a local stream. The pond has a yellow perch in it, or at least it used to, it is secretive and hard to spot. So I am not sure if it is still in there as herons visit the pond.

Jhn, Jan 28, 2018
  17. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

Starting to think I have a screw loose or three. TWO MORE LOADS OF STONE TODAY . I think my artistic creativity has gone hay wire. At least we are a little closer to building I ordered 8oz non woven underlayment between the Connecticut brown stone rocks in the soil and then lining the entire project pond and streams with rock I opted to go with a thicker layer of underlayment sandwiching the EDPM 45 MIL . The condition of the rock when I get it is it's covered in dirt and or dust. On the way home I stop at a self serve car wash and rinse off the dirt and dust. I do love washing them off It's like a scratch ticket. I know I have too much stone at this point but the picture is coming together. I probably would have been a safer bet to have started small and learn the ropes . But I feel confident having had planted and reef aquariums
    20180201_153955[16603].jpg .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    GBBUDD, Feb 2, 2018
    sissy, j.w, Becky and 1 other person like this.
  18. GBBUDD

j.w I Love my Goldies

Welcome to the screw loose club @GBBUDD :LOL:

j.w, Feb 2, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  19. GBBUDD

sissy sissy

I love the moon shaped rock .I have one I dug up that looks like my home state of NJ .I go to the Dan River when they dredge it ,they drag up the neatest stuff and leave it on the banks of the river every year and my sister and I go on a find treasures hunt .Driftwood and rocks are neat

sissy, Feb 2, 2018
  20. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

There's at least 5 of them I was thinking they might make a nice walk along the stream they are a little bit more formal then I'd like but They may work out well with the over all design.

For a first year pond and bog what would be a good choice for a fast growing easy to grow plant I don't imagine there will be a whole lot of nutrients[/QUOTE]

GBBUDD, Feb 3, 2018
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question