Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That other guy was sitting on my shoulder saying ah nope don't do it . This guy is ready for an addition to the project all ready. Like your self but in a little larger scale i'm looking at a 3000 gallon underground holding tank with the disappearing stream . I was thinking about a possible whirl pool. With 12000 gallons an hour dumping into one area that came in on one side of a say 3 foot circle with the drain at the bottom I bet I could make a whirl pool. which would be different and kinda cool..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
a little larger scale

That part will shock no one!

In retrospect we wish we had built ours as an intake bay rather than a negative edge - two big advantages: 1. easier to scoop leaves out of water than gravel 2. fish could swim in and out without risking getting stuck on the wrong side. When we have heavy rain, our rain exchange basin will fill so that it's level with the pond. We always have to watch to make sure the fish get back on the right side before it's too late! On a side note, people warned us that they would swim over the negative edge - they don't, so that's a plus!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That part will shock no one!
What can i say, I always believed if you were going to go for it you might as well do it with both feet in and a huge twisted grin on your face. The rewards are so much sweeter. So far so good . Yes the pond cost us a few shillings along the way but it just paid for half it's costs. I am on a two week pto back home and we have had friends and family over and have had THE BEST VACATION right at home No tourist no failed excursions no waiting in line and best of all no airlines. So why not make it just a little more and one that will give returns as well. Save my water bill.

I have placed koi in the upper small pond and in time they always find there way back into the main pond after going over the falls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
es the pond cost us a few shillings along the way but it just paid for half it's costs. I am on a two week pto back home and we have had friends and family over and have had THE BEST VACATION right at home No tourist no failed excursions no waiting in line and best of all no airlines

We tell people the exact same thing - yes, it cost us money to build but we don't travel much, don't vacation a whole lot, and spend most of our time at home right on our patio. So overall I bet we spent less on our "staycation" than many people do in just a few years traveling, looking for a piece of paradise... which is just a few steps away for us every single day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The edges of the pond after a year some of the items i used to conceal the liner. and some of the neighbors who have stopped by
1224-27  (2 of 2).jpg
1224-27  (1 of 2).jpg
Lilly lettiuce (1 of 1).jpg
One years  growth  (2 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (3 of 29).jpg

Pitcher plant
One years  growth  (4 of 29).jpg
I love moss even some of the moss i used has died but other moss is quickly growing in it's place
One years  growth  (6 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (8 of 29).jpg
Bottom of the photo is the stagnant pond no flow is pushed through i guess it could be looked at as a rain garden but it's source is from high water when it does rain
One years  growth  (9 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (14 of 29).jpg
One years  growth  (20 of 29).jpg
The stream that is built up on one side to prevent run off from the neighbors lawn care
One years  growth  (19 of 29).jpg
This grasss is hiding a two foot tall Snorkel pipe and you would never guess it the grass/ sage is so thick

Attachments

• One years  growth  (10 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (10 of 29).jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 188
  • One years  growth  (11 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (11 of 29).jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 202
  • One years  growth  (12 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (12 of 29).jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 190
  • One years  growth  (13 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (13 of 29).jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 204
  • One years  growth  (15 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (15 of 29).jpg
    209 KB · Views: 180
  • One years  growth  (16 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (16 of 29).jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 220
  • One years  growth  (17 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (17 of 29).jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 209
  • One years  growth  (18 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (18 of 29).jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 210
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One years  growth  (12 of 29).jpg

This is the bog area both the snorkel bog and the pea stone bog
One years  growth  (15 of 29).jpg
Snorkel bog is above with the water fall area , stream is to the right
One years  growth  (16 of 29).jpg

This is the pea stone bog moss covers the surface along with Canna in red , Red Cardinal plant in the center some iris and Micro cat tails well Others i forget what they are. But they grow and thats all we are looking for . the deep green in back the lemon yellow and the pink is in the snokel bog .
One years  growth  (18 of 29).jpg

Obedient plant to the upper left not flowering as yet in this photo , garlic which is the pic, foget me nots lime yellow in back. bog bean in the front
One years  growth  (21 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (29 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (28 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (27 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (25 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (13 of 29).jpg

One years  growth  (24 of 29).jpg
The papyrus in the middle of the photo i wanted it add it to the pond but didn't want to let it loose so i made a island using a aquablox along with two other pieces to fill in to the shore line the plant was then placed on the perforated panel that is just sitting in the water an inch or so and i placed gravel around the roots on the perforated panels . the idea was to allow for the roots to grow like wild fire uninhibited in th upper pond all the water would have to filter it's way through the mass off roots. this photo was from the spring / early summer it has flourished

Attachments

• One years  growth  (14 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (14 of 29).jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 192
  • One years  growth  (17 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (17 of 29).jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 189
  • One years  growth  (19 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (19 of 29).jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 212
  • One years  growth  (20 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (20 of 29).jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 193
  • One years  growth  (22 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (22 of 29).jpg
    216 KB · Views: 191
  • One years  growth  (23 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (23 of 29).jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 203
  • One years  growth  (26 of 29).jpg
    One years growth (26 of 29).jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the updated pictures. I love all your plants. They make your pond seem like it has always been there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Lisa, coming from the wikipedia of this forum that means a lot. {ALL GOOD} I enjoy creating things and when i have fun doing it it usually shows. I have thought about it., Trust me i have thought about it . I wouldn't have to travel , not like i do now any ways. It's probably one reason why it is taking shape so well it was built to be left alone because i would be traveling and could not fuss with it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the updated pictures. I love all your plants. They make your pond seem like it has always been there.
Thanks Cas, your blog helped me along the way i always liked how you kept your plantings .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow @GBBUDD all looks so beautiful!
Thank you jw. i used the rule of thirds a lot plants rocks water along with some drift wood and it has definitely turned out like i hoped it would. Now for the fun part of any mature garden . WEEDING

Ask a Question