Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There' s probably not one regular in here that i didn't pick up something from in the design of my pond I thank you all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just love your pond, it is beautiful!
Opps... not quite sure what happened tot he text there.

Thanks Addy1 ,
You and your bog forum/post and your amazing back yard were probably the icing on the dream. I When I saw the aquascape video Worlds most beautiful back yards. i started doing some home work and found this forum . when i saw the average joe was building and creating there own slice of paradise i went for it
THANK YOU

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Lisa, coming from the wikipedia of this forum that means a lot.

You are too kind - most of what I know I learned right here from people who are years ahead of me in this hobby. I devoured every post on this forum for many months and then started to form my beliefs from what I read and observed. My own pond has taught me so much. Mostly patience, but also the power of observation and the miracles that nature can do if given a chance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but also the power of observation and the miracles that nature can do if given a chance.
You hit the nail on the head ......After years and even decades of keeping fish from salt to fresh water aquariums. Coral reefs and planted tanks, OBSERVATION AND RECORD KEEPING IS KEY ....... To look at ones pond or aquarium is so relaxing but to OBSERVE changes as they begin to show can lead to hours of relaxation instead of being stressed out due to a issue you hadn't observed as it began, and having to spend hours trying to resolve the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How in the world did I ever miss this fantastic build thread !? Spent an entire rainy afternoon reading it. Your pond looks so natural, like it's always been there ! We just finished our small bog and it need to have the liner hidden, rock work finished etc., but at least we got it finished before winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Tula
How in the world did I ever miss this fantastic build thread !? Spent an entire rainy afternoon reading it. Your pond looks so natural, like it's always been there ! We just finished our small bog and it need to have the liner hidden, rock work finished etc., but at least we got it finished before winter.

Thanks for the compliment, i tried a little of this a little of that trying to hide my liner. Wish i had the time to start all over again i enjoyed every minute of building and designing. very very happy with the way it is turning out. but little tweaks like building the bog up another two feet so i had a three foot water fall . i have a foot now and though it's sound is perfect close to the patio you can talk normally and not be drowned out by the sound of the falls . having the three foot drop about 70 feet from the patio would not be to much is sound and the look would be more in line with the finish product i am aiming for.

i have seen you and your hubby working on your bog and from what i have experienced you can't go wrong with the bog though i did both the shallow bog and the aqua blocks the water has been crystal clear ever since the bond balanced out. Good luck with yours im sure you will be happy with your efforts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My wife has dared me to make my falls nicer then this one i FOUNDlast week and the stream to be wider like this ONE I'm starting to think she's trying to kill me
SAJ_7716-HDR.jpg
SAJ_7787-HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
first snow of the year along with icing has persuaded me to install the air bladders to the pond and the large bog. I used a single matala bladder in the big bog , and a double unit in the pond. Some of the experienced ponders have cautioned using air instead of a heating element. but the way I see it I am more concerned about the fishing using up available o2 over the 4 month hibernation. I also have the air pumps in a walkout enclosure . It's an unheated area but never gets as cold as it is outside. it worked last year so I added one to the bog to keep it from becoming stagnant.
20191202_092131.jpg
20191202_092154.jpg
20191202_092220.jpg
20191202_092200.jpg
20191202_094331.jpg
View attachment 125547

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm interested in the placement in your bog. The water is right below the gravel in mine, so would have no water to aerate? I just turned off the pump and drained the lines, water dropped to just below the gravel....hoping everything makes it next Spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am hoping for no snow this year so everyone can have the stuff I don't want ;)it does look pretty with your pond ,all you need is Santa sitting near it and you would have a really nice Christmas Card

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm interested in the placement in your bog. The water is right below the gravel in mine, so would have no water to aerate? I just turned off the pump and drained the lines, water dropped to just below the gravel....hoping everything makes it next Spring.
My bog has a snorkel and aquablocks so i just drop the air bladder to about a foot and a half from the bottom so any solids that make there way to the bottom don't get stirred up and the water movement will keep the bog from going stagnant. Plus there are fish living down there not by my doing but as fry they got sucked into the filters , through the pump and blown to the bottom of the bog where there is a 24" round pipe that's runs the length of the bog. i have tried to catch them but no such luck. i think the pipe was 13 feet long with a second 24" pipe standing vertically and that's 7 feet tall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am hoping for no snow this year so everyone can have the stuff I don't want ;)it does look pretty with your pond ,all you need is Santa sitting near it and you would have a really nice Christmas Card
hI was hoping for the 8 to 14" that the weather FOLKS originally called for with the cyclone bomb i had the falls running and that could have made some cool sculptures and with the pond lights it can be amazing

Ask a Question