Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In cleaning up around the pond today removing the last of the dead vegetation around the pond prepping for the spring . A slight twist i decided to use a blow torch to remove the dead organics in the bog. I had already cut back all that was still green with the desire to have all new shoots growing rapidly in the spring.

And it would appear the sphagnum moss bog has done a lot of growing over the winter i's going to be interesting to see how it does the summer
spaghnum.jpg
fire.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok here's the dream COMPLETION of the project now i just need a month with NOTHING TO DO to be able to finish the project... i neglected to show water flow but it starts on the upper right in the deep green bog that has a water fall to the stream or the light green that flows into the light blue stream that then drops into the upper pond water falls down to the main pond. That will have the bright green bog cut in half to allow for the pond extension sphagnum moss bogs to both sides that will have a negative edge with a short stream that will disappear into the rain water collection System.... heck im tired just typing all this let alone building it all.
Light yellow is skimmer
Deep green is centipede and aquablocks bog
Light green is pea stone up flow bog
Bright green are no flow bogs Sphagnum moss
Light blue streams
Pink waterfalls
Red is rain water collection system
Outlined in orange is all new areas to be built

PHASE 2.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Finally started redoing my bog this weekend, enlarging it from an 6’x8’ up flow pea gravel bog to a 12’x12’ bog with snorkel and centipede, and aqua blox. Like you I am constantly tinkering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Finally started redoing my bog this weekend, enlarging it from an 6’x8’ up flow pea gravel bog to a 12’x12’ bog with snorkel and centipede, and aqua blox. Like you I am constantly tinkering.
Cold and windy here today all i got done was replace that very ugly orange snow fence.
Some how all i can picture is you digging out that 12x 12 bog with a 336 cat lol.

Say you didn't find a deal some where on aquablocks did you ? we should have gone in together and bought in bulk i'm looking at probably 80 large blocks

Wheres those pictures you said you take .

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Cold and windy here today all i got done was replace that very ugly orange snow fence.
Some how all i can picture is you digging out that 12x 12 bog with a 336 cat lol.

Say you didn't find a deal some where on aquablocks did you ? we should have gone in together and bought in bulk i'm looking at probably 80 large blocks

Wheres those pictures you said you take .

Haha, I wish I had an excavator small enough to trailer, home. Kind of strange I work with heavy equipment building rock walls and creating beach/marsh areas, yet at my own house am out there with a shovel.

Only bought a few aqua blocks, just to help in the layout of the bog, but I probably still need 25-30 more, so we can still try to work something out bulk wise.

Can still take some pics, only did a bit today. I am framing out the bog with 6x6’s, since it is above the pond. Not quite as much digging other than tearing out the old bog and the sand/iron stone that surrounded it, which is kind of cool since moss and ferns like to grow on this rock. Going to try and reuse it to face the 6x6’s with this stone and fill in the crevices with dirt creating planting pockets for ferns and stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well the Corona Virus has definitely got me to back off on another large project. I'll have to just work with what I got. just getting home and sitting out at the pond with the spotlight on I took a quick shot. if this isn't enough to show how clear a bog can make your pond I dont know what will.
20200321_015029.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's gorgeous @GBBUDD! I was thinking yesterday that I feel very lucky right now that home has always been my favorite place to be. My pond, my gardens, my patio... once the weather starts to warm up I'll have so many projects to keep me busy and a wonderful spot to pass the hours waiting for this wave to roll over us.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Whole heartedly agree. it's just going to be weeks before I get that directive. Though things have changed so much day by day.
I forgot to add that the pic above is a spot light at night shining in the pond and the fish with the cold water are down 5'. Like your self I'm sure you can sit by the pond for hours day after day and never want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen those advertised @addy1 ! We know a family that uses them - the parents and all their grown kids and grandkids - and swears by them! I just don't know what you do with your wet booty once you're done with the cleaning part!

Ask a Question