Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yea tell me about it but I plan on letting Mr Hydrolics do a lot of the grunt work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi GBBUDD, I really love what you've done with the place! I was wondering if you have any bog/gravel planting areas that aren't fed with PVC? I'm considering having some deeper gravel areas on the sides of my stream for plants that are not fed with PVC pipe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A member, no longer with us, smart ponder, had wet lands type filtering. IE dirt gravel with plants along side his stream. It worked great. So yes it works.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks addy1. I've read your bog filter thread as well and it has me rethinking my entire project. I'm not sure if I should thank you or hate you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww don't hate me, just love your bog! I love minimal care ponds, no filters to clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi GBBUDD, I really love what you've done with the place! I was wondering if you have any bog/gravel planting areas that aren't fed with PVC? I'm considering having some deeper gravel areas on the sides of my stream for plants that are not fed with PVC pipe.
Yes i have made a shallow flat area along side the pond theres probably 2 to 4" running aross the bog where i have a moss garden with all sorts of moss from sphagnum moss to Liver wart and all sorts of moss. and pitcher plants. the water fluctuates so the moss gets a goad soaking then it dries out a little and it is doing very well. Also along my stream i have all sorts of plants some in the stream and some behind the rocks along the stream from grasses , to forget me nots . cardinal plant , Maires tail, horse tail rush and oh yeah MOSS i love my mosses. YES everything grows very well and it is a very easy way to get rid of the bead of pearls around your pond and soften the edges.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can vouch for the bog filters as well i hope to get some more videos and pics soon, Next week i will be doing the first and LAST expansion. here's a before pic and i'll show an after down the road
IMG_20200419_103913.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just love your pond. I can't believe you needed it bigger.... and so soon! Keep the pictures coming.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just love your pond. I can't believe you needed it bigger.... and so soon! Keep the pictures coming.
These are the reasons why.
1, i made the pond with the fish and there safety and fun in mind i put on my mr limpit hat and though what would i like if i was a fish. Well that included caves , tunnels, and darting in and out behind rocks . WELL that led to good luck catching anyone with a net. though in cold weather I at least stand a fighting chance.
2. When I travel the skimmer works to well and will clog a negative edge is far better suited for my needs.
3. The rain capture system will allow me to literally walk away from the pond for weeks or even months and not have to worry about the fish with 2500 gallons of storage that's a lot of evaporation and should last an entire summer if there was to be no rain.
4. Connecticut sucks everything here is expensive including water, when you water your garden you also get hit with sewerage costs.
5. I will also use this to wash the cars
6. No adding of phosphates into the pond as the town adds a lot of phosphates to protect the water pipes = algae in pond.
7. Yeah I WANT IT BIGGER ............. no really i could have been fine with how it was , i really don't like disturbing my moss bog it's coming along really well. I will just relocate what i am losing of the bog it into the new section. I am limited on space so i have only the bog to place the expansion through.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of the remaining items was to pick up a 4 foot section of the 24 inch culvert pipe. the same stuff I used in the bog but for the rain capture system. And as I am driving into work a truck about a mile up infront of me I could see what looked like he had something fall off. When I came up on it what do I fInd the exact pipe I was thinking of using a 4 foot 24 inch double walled culvert pipe SCORE..... now I just need a two caps

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
One of the remaining items was to pick up a 4 foot section of the 24 inch culvert pipe. the same stuff I used in the bog but for the rain capture system. And as I am driving into work a truck about a mile up infront of me I could see what looked like he had something fall off. When I came up on it what do I fInd the exact pipe I was thinking of using a 4 foot 24 inch double walled culvert pipe SCORE..... now I just need a two caps
Haha nice, saves you time from having to hunt a scrap piece down.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well the FInal phase is underway I just ordered liners, aquabolcks, rock 3 ", 2 ", and 1" , 8oz fabric, waterfall foam and roof protection 1/8 protection board. the pond expansion mainly so I can catch the little buggers as its a tough task in the pond. a couple waterfalls and a 2500 gallon rain water capture system

Did you go with the easy pro blocks? Is this going be fed by a negative edge or inlet bay, can’t remember which one you are doing?

Wish I had thought of the negative edge/inlet bay instead of the skimmer boxes 25 years ago when I built my first pond. All about doing as little work as possible to maintain my ponds, skimmers can be a little to effective at sucking in all the floating crap that falls in ponds. I have always used plants as the back bone of the filter system, just not always in a bog. (I don’t consider weeding back plants in the pond and bog work.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you go with the easy pro blocks? Is this going be fed by a negative edge or inlet bay, can’t remember which one you are doing?

Wish I had thought of the negative edge/inlet bay instead of the skimmer boxes 25 years ago when I built my first pond. All about doing as little work as possible to maintain my ponds, skimmers can be a little to effective at sucking in all the floating crap that falls in ponds. I have always used plants as the back bone of the filter system, just not always in a bog. (I don’t consider weeding back plants in the pond and bog work.)

I did go with the easy pro and thanks to the corona situation i got a good deal, i got 80 blocks 2500 gallons . Talk about the least work possible. i believe i will be able to walk away from the pond for months on end and not have a worry about much. my only concern is if the algae continues on the path it is now there may not be enough for the fish to eat at the current amount of fish.

I am going with the negative edge where i am hoping to create traps fr sediment to get caught in little pools before it hits the underground storage and it's rocks to go underground to try and keep it as clean as possible. the area i am thinking will be at least 6 feet long so as the rocks clog it just flows over and works on the next foot . the area will also be a good foot to a foot and a half deep for backup if it ever should. Am i missing anything ?

I agree i enjoy creating tinkering around the pond With the exception of LEAVES

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am thinking on using sand in the bottom of the little pond that has no bottom brain. i through some in there this morning silted the water right up but when it settled it looked really cool.

Ask a Question