going to be over run !!

Reaction score
yes i think very soon ime going to be over run, with fish that is, breedin like mad for the last week or so, so far ive managed to segregate about 70 eggs and that just from 1 small corner, havent looked anywhere else yet and this morning i seen a tiny small fish swimming about but by the time i got the small net it had disapeared, will have to keep my eyes open and try and save as many as i can, just cultivating some food for them now ! as for the eggs think i may leave the rest and good luck to them, i will be having to build another pond at this rate !! lol

Reaction score
here is a question if anybody can answer it for me, there is 2 females that has been spawning, 1 sarasa and 1 shubunkin, there has been 4 males persuing the females, 1 goldfish, i sarasa and 2 shubunkins, now obviously the eggs/fry are from the 2 females but could any of the 4 males have fertilised the eggs ? so could it be posable there will be crossbreeds betwen say the sarasa and the shubunkin ? and could i get colour variations from these ? thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes yes and yes lol My fry seem to be a combo of sarasa, shubies, and goldfish. The main female spawning is a large white with a spot of gold. The fry are all sorts of combinations, and very pretty.

I let nature takes it course, even have seen the large white female chasing a fry with its mouth open, the fry escaped! lol she is the pond queen, largest fish so far.

Reaction score
addy these fry are so small they dont have colour yet, about 2-3mm, i have 10 fry so far in a seperate tank, full of the pond water and i have witnessed the fry chasing and eating small insects in the water ! i was amazed

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mogsie, You will probably get about 50% that look similar to any of the parent fish, and about 50% will be a brown and tan colored. Of those 70% will stay that color, 30% will change when older. Usually dark with some molten coloration but you never know. These are usually culled by breeders and that where they get the feeder goldfish from. Even if you breed sarasa to sarasa, or shubunkin to shubunkin that can still take place but the percentage's will be higher for the YxY cross to to be Y. (Y being the same parent color to same parent color)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy when I put your plants in a new little floating ring I made I now notice a tiny little fish in there. He either is so tiny that he is one of mine and squeezed in there or, I mean you know how big screen door material is so I'm wondering if perhaps the plants might have had some eggs attached? If I turn out having a Shubunkin I guess we will know then right :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol a maryland fish made it to washington................I have had fry all summer jw.

Between the goldfish and the shubies a lot of the fry are beautiful, gold with dark markings, long fins etc. . Others are darkies. No culling this pond, too big too deep and still not that many fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll let ya know if it turns a shubbie color. Would be neat if it does :)

Reaction score
I am getting quite a few new ones. And am very excited because the butterfly bekko spawned with the ki ogon and their fry just hatched. I watched them lay a ton of eggs around through and on the floating plant ring and now and bunch of little fry are swimming in and out of the holes. I am curious to see what the colors the fish will become.

Reaction score
well i have now about 20 fry in a seperate tank which i found in 1 corner, not to mention the 60-70 eggs in a basket due to hatch ! today i looked in the other corner and there is little schools of them swimming around, what am i going to do with all these ?? lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
great mogsie baby fry schools, share with friends?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy1 said:
Lol a maryland fish made it to washington................I have had fry all summer jw.

Between the goldfish and the shubies a lot of the fry are beautiful, gold with dark markings, long fins etc. . Others are darkies. No culling this pond, too big too deep and still not that many fish.

I wonder if that could become a movie .Traveling fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol sissy I shouldn't answer, diverting the thread, but yeah

Ask a Question