Going to look at Koi today at 4:30 MT

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is weird how after putting the news kids in the pond comet behavoir changed. They used to swim in groups of 2 - 4 seperated throughout the pond not paying any attention to me (except Angelina who has always liked me). But now they all school together (4 Kio, 13 Comets and many fry). They stay together and swim to me when I walk up. It's like it was natural for the koi to behave this way and the comets figured they would just follow along LOL.

I love them and may get another 4 before summer is over.

I would like to find out exactly how much volume my pond holds first. My best guess is 5000-6000 gallons. So I am going to take exact measurements once the water warms to where I can stand in it for a long time to measure. I will give the info to my brother who is an engineer and should be able to get me a pretty exact number. I am math illiterate LOL

The guy who I got the koi from said if I didn't have comets my pond could handle about 40 koi!!! Seems like a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Pecan, 40 if wayyyy too many! That guy was wanting to sell you koi! Unless of course you have high tech filtration system. I know I don't. I have too many koi, and my pond is right at 4,000 gal .. or 4,500 I can't remember now.
If you google pond volume calculator, it's really simple to guesstimate your gallons by the size of your pond. It even has square and round or oval to choose from as shapes. That will give you a good idea, you just need to know the average depth. Or, you can do your pond is parts, for different depths, etc. It's a good thing to know how many gallons you have for treating it for things, knowing how many fish (inches) it can support, etc.
I built the new pond because my goldfish and koi obsession had gotten out of control. My suggestion (and others made the suggestion to me, but I didn't follow their advise, now I wish I had) is to just get a couple at a time, especially if they are close. And, no more than maybe 4 or 5 a year. Wait and see how your pond does with the new comers, as far as filtration needs. I'm beginning to wonder if my pond murkiness is because of too many fish! Oh well, time will tell ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The stocking thing is one thing I can't get a handle on. For example, the pond specialty/contractors place nearby has 3 ponds on their grounds. One of them is their mini "kit" to demonstrate what you can build with it. It comes with liner, waterfall filter with matala mats, skimmer, pump, tubing. That's all that they use, they are strictly no chemical, other then adding beneficial bacteria. They keep about 15 large koi in there, I'd say all of them are 15" and larger. The pond is completely rocked in with various sizes of river rock. You absolutely cannot see one peck of pond liner. Their water is always crystal clear and absolutely beautiful. Oh the mini kit will build a 1000 gallon pond, that's what they say anyway, but I swear it looks much smaller then mine. How do they manage to keep that many fish in there and keep the water looking amazing?? I just don't understand, I don't even want that many koi, just maybe 5, but I'm worried about that and keeping my water clear!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh and Country, that place has a big pond that looks to be similar in size to yours maybe smaller and they keep at least 30 koi in there year round, ranging from 15" up to 30"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
wow, then they have an awesome filtering system! I have far too many koi, I think 17 or so! But will sell a few of the ones that I bought that changed colors to blah ... :) We'll see, maybe I'll keep them all, but not if they start spawning and some of the babies survive.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Jen our nursery is the same here. Small ponds, rocks everywhere, lots of large koi and crystal clear water! That is one of the reasons I joined their pond club hoping to learn from others.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
PL if you learn anything let us know but maybe they will be the ones learning from you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe I should do that too, I know they do free seminars. Just wasn't sure how the info would help me when I'm not set up the way they are. As for filters, I've seen them and they are those really big round waterfall boxes. The water comes in the bottom up through the media then out the waterfall weir.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Jareety, why would anyone need a skimmer that would work for oil and in industrial conditions? And, not sure anyone on this thread was even asking about a heavy duty skimmer. I'm confused.... I won't click on your link, wondering why it's even posted. Can you explain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Not sure but sure doesn't make any sense in what he posts. Geesh! And, I tend to be ultra careful about clicking on any url, even if it's in a forum like this. Better safe than sorry, and in this case, it was bogus, as suspected.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He's still up there. I clicked on the link and he's selling a bunch of equipment for oil spills it looks like. What the heck?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
removed the link and post, Spam and not needed on the forum. If anyone sees posts like these please take the time to report them. one of us will gladly remove links that are not related to threads.

Ask a Question