Going to look at Koi today at 4:30 MT

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I might have needed some of that stuff, I just signed a contract letting BP drill in my pond (I don't think the fish will mind). Thanks a lot guys, now what do I do if I have a environmental catastrophe???

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pecan.....your a funny girl!! and you can join the team he's trying to get drafted on...in the bloomers thread in aquatic plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Larkin, you might want to check out his/her other posts, as they are all very weird! BTW, how do we "report" a post to a moderator? Send one of you a personal message, I assume? I've seen others mention "Moderator needs to check this out" and wondered if that was enough to alert the moderators to the post. Glad you removed the post.
Meanwhile, back on the REAL topic, how are your fish doing, Pecan? :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fish are doin great CE! :) They have taught my comets how to be nicer :) Happy as could be. The one with black scales on his back has been chasing the big one with the greenish blue on her back. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
CE see that fuzzed out button down in the right hand corner of a posted post next to MultiQuote? Well ya just click on that and type a message and send it off to whoever sees it first.

Oh boy pecan babies on the way soon! Love is in the air! You gonna put in a spawning mop to try and save any?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
These koi must be like dogs, some are super friendly and some not so much. I seem to be really good at picking anit-social pets. My koi have been hiding for a week, they only come out when they can't see me! Glad to see you got a friendly bunch Pecan!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Woohoo, Pecan, have fun watching the spawning dance! Jen, they will get tamer the longer you have them. I tamed my babies fast because they were in the kiddie pool all winter, and I hand fed them eventually. And, they were all hand fed from the previous buyers, so that helped as well. Some people never feed their fish, as they have "natural" ponds, and probably much clearer than mine! LOL But, I like my koi to be friendly. And, once you have a friendly one (and, believe it or not, some colors are more apt to be friendly than others - Chagoi I think is brownish or grayish, is supposed to be very friendly, and white or platinum tends to be more standoffish ... so if you get a chagoi, it will help your others learn to be friendly... or so they say), the others will follow suit, not wanting to be left behind. My white is a matsuba (dark scales on dorsal topline) and is NOT friendly at all. In fact, unless the water is clear, I typically do not spot it very often, as it stays lower in the water. My 2 Chagoi koi, though, are first to the dinner table. LOL BUT, my koi I got last year from RSFish were hand fed, so they came very tame and friendly.
Just try feeding at the same place every day (when weather and pond temps permit, that is) and stand very still at first, and they will learn. Probably weather has not allowed you to feed so they are not interested in you yet. They will learn!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ive not had one yet, but ive read, several times that chigoi are a great fish to have in your pond...they may not be the prettiest in the herd. but tend to be one of the more social breeds of koi...they will oftren be the first to hand feed etc...once they do the rest will fall in line. Ogons are as well in my experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The one I have that is mostly white, with the light yellow back is definitely the least social one. He never swims into the cave as soon as he thinks I'm nearby. The other white one with the black back (I think a Matsuba as well) seems to be my friendliest so far, and the bright yellow and black is somewhere in between. He won't com to close a spooks easily, but doesn't hide the whole time I'm next to the pond either. They were gettinga little friendlier when I was first able to deed but since it's been so cold, thats gone. Whats funny is my goldfish all come out and watch me and go about their business like I don't phase them one bit, while the 3 koi are all stand-offish. To bad my goldfish aren't teaching them to be more social!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like how I can put my hand in the pond and the goldfish will swim right into my hand. The bigger ones are more friendly and guess the little ones need to learn that I'm not going to eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My bigger goldfish are friendlier too. Funny since they all came from the same store at the same time! LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
all of mine run to me I must represent FOOD! I get attacked by a herd of goldies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've found that if I put my hands in the water (mess with the lilies, pull string algae, etc.) the goldies are right there, nibbling on my hands. Today, I just simply put my open hand in the water, my babies from last year, which are 4-5" long, swam right into my hand. I never grab at them, though. One of my bigger fish, the female Comet, did it, too. My fantails, they are always nosy and right there to see what I have. The fish from PondKid are still trying to figure it all out, but learning pretty quickly, at least when it comes to feeding time, which I've been able to resume now that temps are back up there. Pond temp was 65 today.

Ask a Question