sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I feed mine koi treats and 3 times a week and what ever they can eat in 5 minutes and why because i want clean water .

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I feed mine koi treats and 3 times a week and what ever they can eat in 5 minutes and why because i want clean water .

Maybe I should we fraze the question ,what would you free one hundred gold fish ,I've been feeding 3 times a day what they can eat in 5 minutes ,with my pond sweep and filteration cleanliness has not been an issue,water stays crystal clear ,with clear smooth bottoms and no plants ,there is vertually no accumulation of any residue,I was mainly concerned about over feeding ,although they are happy agressive each time I feed !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My all goldie/shubunkin pond gets fed every other day or so. One time two hands full, koi food, no corn. The rest of the time they snack on what ever is in the pond. I have been algae free all summer they most likely eat any that grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I feed my goldfish 2 or 3 times a day. It gives me an excuse to relax and sit by the pond while they are eating. I think how many times you feed them is really how much time you want to spend relaxing watching them eat. If they eat everything you are giving them in a few minutes then it should be fine. The only thing to consider is they will grow more when you feed them more so be sure you have enough room for everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have coffee in the morning with my fish. I give them off brand Cheerios. They get about cup full. I have one Koi, who eats the cheerios much faster than the goldfish. I break up most of the cereal, so the smaller fish can get some. It usually takes about a half hour to drink my coffee and feed my fish.

When ever we have visitors the fish get to enjoy another feeding. Everyone wants to see Charlie, our Koi, come for his treat. And naturally all the goldfish are right there ready also.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, Cheerios are good treats, really cheap, and actually healthy for both Koi and Goldfish. Most Koi treats are just expensive fish food that has special shapes or scents. laguana makes some citrus treats that cost about $4 a box. the koi love them but the goldfish prefer them to be broken into smaller pieces. cherrios will soften up in about 4-5 minutes and all the fish even the babies can eat them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love those Cheery little 0's also so why not share them w/ my little fish kids. They love watermelon too! Wonder if they like cheese?
Well you know how it's against the law............isn't it?............ to feed wild fish you are trying to catch w/ cheese so does that mean they like it so much they are easy to catch?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
People used to chum the az mountain lakes with corn when fishing for rainbow trout, they would come running.

Reaction score
I feed my fish, mostly goldies but quite possibly a few hubrid Koi/goldies from someone else's pond they closed, Aldi's brand of Cheerios. They absorb water faster and are easier for the little guys to get a mouthful and swim away. I have also fed them puffed wheat and shredded wheat. The shredded wheat I place in a floating plastic paperplate holder. There it absorbs water and gets nice and soft. The fish feed from the bottom holes. The base of the paperplate holder looks like plastic canvas...small square holes. The puffed wheat softens in the water as well and they love it. I also feed them Tetra Fish Sticks (Walmart) as well as Wardley Fish Pellets (Walmart) but they mostly get the cereal. I do not feed them sugar coated cereal though. I tried Grape Nuts and they sank to the bottom b4 the fish could get them. I may try soaking them b4 feeding the Grape Nuts.

:goldfish:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My goldfish do fine on Wardley's pellets for Summer and Tetra pond sticks wheat germ type for Spring and Fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I feed once a day, too, and got a free bag of Laguna koi/goldfish food when I bought a pump, so have been using that. I feed whatever they eat in about 5 minutes, the general rule. The koi, though, I feed longer, as they will come back for more. The goldfish pond, when they are done, they are done! They are not such pigs like my koi. :)

Ask a Question