Gold fish with possible fish lice infestation :(

Reaction score
Hi all,

I really need some advice about what to do to help my goldfish Gus.
I have had him for about 6 years in a pond with ghost koi, mirror carp and several shubumpkins and a mixture of bred fish that have naturally accumulated.
Anyway Gus hasn't been happy for many months, staying on the top of the pond even in the freezing temperatures, i expected him not to last the winter but he is still going. I thought he was just old but today have noticed like algae clumps on him and searched a little online which seems to steer toards fish lice. I don't know if its too late but i really need advice on what to do to help him. The other fish are all fine as far as i can see. Gus was rescued from a fair and he is very special.
Sorry for the long post and that i didn't take the time to go to the welcome thread, i am really worried, many thanks for any advice

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
is it possible to bring him indoors if you have something large enough to put him in,tetra make a good parasite meds ... but i think he will need to be warmer to treat him ...only thing is they dont like being on there own for long if it is lice, you may need to take a closer look at him to be sure, if its parasites then you will have to treat the whole pond, people also use salt but you would need to know how much water is in your pond to treat it ...sorry i cant be more help

Reaction score
Thanks Stroppy for your help.
I can't see any lice on him, just these green lumps which look like algae. I removed a little of it to see if there was anything in it. Underneath is just white but it has taken chunks out of him. He seems to want to be away from the others all the time and he is very lethargic. He has been like this many months, not getting any worse.
Should i treat the pond with the parasite med while he is in there or try and treat him away from the others? Thanks

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i would try take him out if you have somewhere warmer to keep him but you would need to put an air stone in and do frequent water changes .. im really not too sure was just trying to help untill someone with more knowledge could help you ... but it does sound a bit like some kind of fungal problem more than parasites ... most people try salt first i think

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I could help you, I have no clue. There are ones on here that should know, what to do.

Ask a Question