Golden orfe extremely FAT!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie member here, requesting help please. I dug out my pond some 15 years ago and installed some goldfish and golden orfe. The water soon turned green anddid not clear withfilters / u.v. Light etc . When I introduced a pea shinglereed bed feeding a water cascade back into the pond the water cleared in a month and has been clear ever since ( annual cleaning of pea shingle keeps water clear)
One of the golden orfe started looking fat about a year ago (New smaller fish have regularly appeared in the pond -- nature in action!)this fish is now fatter than ever looking more like a puffer fish permanently than the others slim trout like appearance, after a year I no longer think it's full of eggs!?? What do you recon friends ? Is this fish FAT OR SICK.?
Much obliged peter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Are the scales sort of sticking up, like on a pinecone? If so, that sounds like dropsy. The two other things that come to mind are bloat and being egg bound. There are people on here who know a lot about that stuff. I hope this story has a good ending! Good luck!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1565469942781.gif
@Peterfix
I've had a fat one or two that stayed that way for years. Must have been some kind of health issue as they did eventually die but they ate and swam around the whole time. The scales were not sticking out on mine and it was a goldfish.
Here is one right in the middle of this photo:

IMG_6832.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the scales sort of sticking up, like on a pinecone? If so, that sounds like dropsy. The two other things that come to mind are bloat and being egg bound. There are people on here who know a lot about that stuff. I hope this story has a good ending! Good luck!
Yes scales are sticking up a little and bloated is very much the appearance, soWHAT TO DO .?
Much obliged peter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have personal experience, however if the scales are sticking up ( pine coning ) it sounds like dropsy :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Since I don't have any experience either, I would suggest doing a google search of dropsy in pond fish. I still think other folks will chime in here later and might have some more expert advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just searched and I see that there is a YouTube guy called The Fish Doctor. I would watch some of those!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Scales like this? This is dropsy and unfortunately often fatal. Make sure no one else looks sick in any way. Check your water parameters if you haven't yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190812-204444.jpg
    Screenshot_20190812-204444.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 227

Ask a Question