Goldfish not eating?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm starting to learn a lot about my pond and keeping fish, thanks to all wonderful people here.

Anyway, after that bout of goldfish dying and all, I had a few days of ease.

Untill yesterday I noticed that one of my goldfish behaving very weird. It's hover 45 degree on one spot for a long long time, and hardly anything move. then this morning I went out and feed the fish in the morning as usual and I saw this little one probably eating something off of the liner, while others were eating the fish food. So I springle some next to the little one. He/she noticed and went ofter the food but didnt take any in, then went back to eating off of the liner.

I also notice that this fish is pretty small, compared to other that I bought the same time, also pretty thin too. What could be wrong with him/her?

some of my fish (1 guppy, 1 molly, and 1 shubunkin) were flashing so I also added 3 cups of pond salt yesterday, the salt level is at 0.04 right now (If i remmeber correctly, the lower number one) I dont want to add too much too soon. I dont see anything wrong with the flashing fish at all, they ate and act normal and it was onec in a while thing so I thought it could be just an itch or the ammonia level. Or could it be other thing?

Oh and when I added the salt, the intruction just said to springle it around the pond so I did, then my fish ate some salt, so I after that I disloved the salt first before I put it in the pond.

Ammonia is a tad high at 0.2 (stick test, a better one will arrive tomorrow), I'm giving away some of my fish today and will do a little water change too. And the Ph is 7.5.

-A

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what ever is on that liner is tastier ,they know what they like .I add my salt to the filters and let it disolve there slowly .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks :) The thing is, the fish is quite thin, should I be worried?

And the salt wont kill the bacteria in the filter?

I know my bacteria is doing good, my water just cleared up 3 days ago, still very brown though (I have mulberry tree near by and the bulberries fall into the water a lot, then the rain and the dirt from the stone... oh well..

(the fence is not painted, so no color come from it)

sissy said:
what ever is on that liner is tastier ,they know what they like .I add my salt to the filters and let it disolve there slowly .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a pipe I put it in and I only add about a 1/4 cup 2 times a year .It desolves in the pipe and goes straight into the water fall

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How "small" is this fish compared to the others? Is it "small" as in baby-size small, or as in emaciated small? Just wondering, 'cause a smaller and younger fish might have trouble eating "big-fish" foods due to the size of its mouth. The stuff on the liner is finer and easier to eat. Of course, it could just be a food preference issue.

About adding salt, everything I've read says to dissolve it and add it as a solution. But, Sissy, your way may be a good exception. The thing is that in theory, any undissolved salt will sink to the bottom of the pond and stay there. Salt in solution [dissolved in water] will stay that way, as well, which means it's evenly distributed through out the pond environment. So any fish that might be ill or sluggish [or whatever] that sits on the bottom is in contact with that higher concentration of salt, which could be harmful.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Some goldfish simply don't eat food. I have a celestrial eye I have never seen come up for a single piece of food. It only eats from the sides of the pond. It is growing normal just doesn't eat prepared food. I have another goldfish that is MAYBE 2" long and is well over two years old maybe closer to three, It just never grew. It may be a deformity, it may be genetic. But if it's eating and looks healthy I wouldn't try doing anything as far as adjusting the pond or adding anything to help it. As TM will tell you, I have some goldfish that seriously rival in size to butterfly koi, yet I have some that stay small. NOT all goldfish grow at the same rate or have the genetics to reach full size potential
Salt, this is where you'll get 1000 different answers and posts and some will be true, some will be false, some will be ole wise tail, some may be scientifically documented.

That being said This is my personal take on salt. Does it effect bacteria, If so only slightly. Can it be added directly, yes, but it is best to put where there is water movement, like in a skimmer, water fall, near a pump. etc. Does it kill parasites? Only certain types, by far not all. Is it effective on fungal or bacteria infections. NO, IT IS NOT, it only helps the fish to produce additional slime which is it's natural way to fight infections, So can you see a benefit by adding salt, yes, but I would not depend on it solely as a medication or treatment. Is dipping better than adding to the pond, again this depends on each pond and what the intentions and results are. BUT You can dose higher salinity to fish than plants, higher salinity is more effective against killing those certain parasites that it does effect. Higher doses may help with swim bladder problems as well as it actually changes the internal pressure inside the fish and can help in passing off trapped gases. again though I must state, this isn't proven but I have seen positive results from using it. Higher doses do help produce more slime coat and may show improvement in fungal or bacterial infections especially those goldfish with caps, like Orandas, and Lion heads. I have seen these have white film and small white spots on them and by adding salt it cleared up on it's own. Again, worth trying but be prepared to take secondary measures in case it is needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all.

TM, The small one is just smaller than the ones that I bought the same time. it's about 1.5 inches and the some are about 2-3 inches already. Its belly is quite slim and not puff like other goldfish, I'm hoping it's just becasue of it food perference. The new food I have is quite small, even the guppy can eat it, so I think it'll be fine for this small goldfish to eat, it probably just doesnt like the taste. I'll have to look at it again today to see if it's emaciated or not (how to tell?)

fishin4cars - thanks for the input about salt. Ijust want to promote a healthier environment in general and if the salt promote additional slime, that should be a good thing. I read that it can help with breathing too, also calming the fish?

-A

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
FWIW, salt does not evaporate with water, but remains in solution. The ONLY way to remove salt from your pond is with water changes. Adding salt periodically without doing partial water changes will, over time, result in a pond more suitable to marine fish than goldfish.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes HARO, that's what I read on the box too. I dont want to add too much salt so I actually just added half of that they told me. I'll add somemore when I do the water change.

Dave, after the salt, the little fish seems somuch more active and is not seen hovering around anymore. It also fight for the food like other fish too... Thanks for the garlic tips though will come in handy someday.

I just gave away several fish.. now I have about 6 guppies, 3 mollies, 10 or 12 comet goldfish (2" long), 3 shubunkins (4-5" long), I think 3 tiny catfish, and 1 tiny algea eater.. I hope that'll help with the ammonia level some :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
HTH, yes that's the plan. Or give them away to someone who already have inside fish tank.

I just realized that when I'm not looking, my 3 year old took a big handful of fish food and feed the fish..... this definitely one attribute to my raising ammonia level!!

Ask a Question