plant eating goldfish

Reaction score
Not all goldfish are the same I have come to find out that in my backyard pond they (feeder fish) have totally wiped out my anacharis plants and won't even touch the hornwort but the smaller pond they don't like either except for the parrot's feather which they devoured hmm....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My anacharis was around 1.5 feet tall, ready to break the surface one day, gone the next.

parrot's feather seems to be a snack, watch them nibble on it.

Reaction score
I guess my hornwort must be disgusting to them! I usually have to throw a good walmart bag size away every summer. Anacharis down here is hard to find and its exspensive too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They ate it all, at least i don't see it anymore, so moving on to other plants.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
MMMHmmm, I see that goldies don't leave plants alone quite as much as some thought!
I have to say I'm having better luck with all my plants this year than last year and I have more koi and bigger koi this year. Hmmm, maybe the Goldies were doing it and I was blamming the Koi.:confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only plant they have eaten is the anacharis, it even states on the sites that fish love to eat it. All else is doing fine.
So just not going to use any more of it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you'd have to fill your pond full of that Anacharis before you could even hope to have some left from those littly piggy goldies. Maybe put some in a big float ring and dole it out now and then :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My hyacinth has long flowing roots, the fish just hide under them, the frog sits on them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I thought my anacharis plants were getting a bit spindly, but I never saw any of the fish munching on them. I bet I know why now. I definitely see them nibbling on the hyacinth roots, but I'm not worried about that in the least bit with as fast they're growing. I definitely went WAY overboard by buying six hyacinth and two water lettuce plants for my small pond. They've all at least doubled in size in just two weeks. I'm gonna be throwing this out by the bucketload over the summer!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Craigs list it max, if you want to. There may be somebody looking to pick some up. I picked up a lot of lilies, iris, and other plants via craigs list, and really cheap.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yep goldfish love plants as much as koi do ... mine have eaten roots of most of my floating plants ... and when i had the other pond with lilies they eat them down to the gravel

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my goldies nibble on the roots of the water hyacinth and the water lettuce also .I am trying the plant ring this year but had to put a few stones in the middle of it to weigh it down so they could not eat all the roots .

Ask a Question