j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ken,keep the aquarium covered as koi like to jump out at times in new places or sometimes just for the heck of it! Also when you put them in your pond watch them cuz they seem to like to do that jumping out thing when put in any new place.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope goldfish and koi need no heater in the house or outside either unless of course you live somewhere where you might have a horrid freeze, then you could put in a de-icer floating thingy in your pond to keep a hole in the ice but thinking where you are you would not ever have to worry about that one,lol!

Reaction score
Nope no worries there. Only saw maybe a weeks worth of temps down to high 30s at night and we're already in the 70s and 80s now. I don't plan to do anything over the top with this aquarium. Probably just a filter and hood to make sure they don't jump out. Any need for gravel? What about a light? Would I need to worry about running an aquarium light or would ambient light from the Windows and house lights be sufficient?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had my aquarium across from a south window and the plants and fish did fine w/o lights. You don't need gravel either and it will be much easier to keep clean w/o any. Just don't put it right smack dab in front of a south window or they might cook!

Ask a Question